Country Hatchery "clipping wings"

LaurelC

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Kentucky
Howdy - I am doing my research on getting some muscovies while our pen is still in planning stages (not planning on ordering until the pen is fully built!), and came across this blurb in country hatchery's website (I am under the impression that this is a great vendor?)

Quote:

Does this imply they are actually doing some sort of bodily damage, as at one week, they aren't feathered out yet. Is it a painful or inhumane process? When we get our ducks, I do not want them to be flying anyway, so this would be an ideal situation if it were somewhat common or humane.

Input?

It's the exact same thing as declawing a cat...they cut off the last joint. Yes it hurts. I wouldn't cut off the last joint of a baby's finger or a dog's toe efor convenience either. Yes, I feel VERY strongly about declawing & ear cropping...tail docking there is enough medical evidence it's ok in the 1st 24 hrs I'm better with. Until someone can show me good eveidence that the nerves aren't developed in wings (which is going to be tough because I've heard my hatchlings cry when a sibling nips a wing tip) I'm going with "inhumane".

I was wondering if it was along the lines of docking/declawing. Sounds like it is. I will avoid.

I was wondering if it was along the lines of docking/declawing. Sounds like it is. I will avoid.
When your ducks get old enough to fly around 12 weeks you can clip one wing to keep them grounded, I do this with mine and it doesn't hurt them at all. What they are talking about is pinioning. I could never do that to one of mine.

Back
Top Bottom