1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Country Hatchery "clipping wings"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaurelC, Jan 7, 2014.

1. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Howdy - I am doing my research on getting some muscovies while our pen is still in planning stages (not planning on ordering until the pen is fully built!), and came across this blurb in country hatchery's website (I am under the impression that this is a great vendor?)

Quote:
    Does this imply they are actually doing some sort of bodily damage, as at one week, they aren't feathered out yet. Is it a painful or inhumane process? When we get our ducks, I do not want them to be flying anyway, so this would be an ideal situation if it were somewhat common or humane.

Input?

2. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    It's the exact same thing as declawing a cat...they cut off the last joint. Yes it hurts. I wouldn't cut off the last joint of a baby's finger or a dog's toe efor convenience either. Yes, I feel VERY strongly about declawing & ear cropping...tail docking there is enough medical evidence it's ok in the 1st 24 hrs I'm better with. Until someone can show me good eveidence that the nerves aren't developed in wings (which is going to be tough because I've heard my hatchlings cry when a sibling nips a wing tip) I'm going with "inhumane".

3. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I was wondering if it was along the lines of docking/declawing. Sounds like it is. I will avoid.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When your ducks get old enough to fly around 12 weeks you can clip one wing to keep them grounded, I do this with mine and it doesn't hurt them at all. What they are talking about is pinioning. I could never do that to one of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by