1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Country Skillet Yummy!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Acre of Blessings, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    A friend gave me this recipe around Christmas time '08 and I have just now found it and tried it. All I can say is .....YUMMY!!! and my kids even loved it and wanted more. hehe

you need.....

6 bacon strips -- cooked
    6 c. frozen potatoes -- I used home grown potatoes and it worked fine
    3/4 c. green peppers -- diced
    1/2 c. onions -- diced
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    6 eggs
    1/2 c. shredded cheese

Cook bacon remove from pan and drain but reserve a little grease in pan. Add potatoes, peppers, onions, salt and pepper to drippings. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. (or until pot. are done) stirring continually. When potatoes are done..... make 6 wells and add an egg in each well. Cover and cook 10 minutes on low. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.

All I can say is YUMMY!!! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have. It can be used for any meal. [​IMG]

2. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds really yummy! For the potatoes, are they shredded?

3. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Nope, just diced...but you can probably use shredded potatoes.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sounds good. I'll have try it.

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I make that all the time!!!! It is delicious. [​IMG]
    Sometimes I use red peppers. I like to spice mine up with some cayenne pepper!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    My Lithuanian Grandma made a variation of this when I was a child. It was sooooo good. She called it "Koogalie" I've tried to make it but, It's never as good as hers was.

She only used a cast iron skillet and mixed all the ingredients and baked them in the oven in the skillet (350 for about 45 min) and sprinked with cheese.

7. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:That's the only kind of skillet's I have. Nothing is better than cast iron. [​IMG]

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I was thinking "dinner tonight" then remembered I have "slut sauce" in the fridge so ... Breakfast on Sunday!!

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by