Country store "Double yolker eggs"?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ssbs, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    There is an orchard up here that sales local food, honey, soaps.. etc. I was looking in their coolers and they have HUGE chicken eggs (they must have been twice as big as Kroger eggs). They are local, I don't know if they are fertile or not. The paper that had the price on it said they are double yolked.

I was thinking about buying some to incubate, but my bator already has quail eggs in it. I'll be going back to the store in a few weeks, do you think it would be worth buying some eggs, checking the fertility and hatching some??

2. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    they would prob die.. [​IMG]

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Don't try to incubate them. They are great for baking, but crappy for hatching. Very few live, even fewer are full sized healthy birds. Some animals are meant to have twins, and other animals lay eggs.

4. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    double yolk eggs generally do not have enough room and usually one if not both die. I have heard of only one that hatched two live chicks but I think one of them did die maybe both shortly after hatch but I don't remember foe sure.
    Do a search and you should be able to find it and read more on it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104245&p=16

Edited to post the thread and it has links to other double yolk threads. evidentally some do ok

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i am sorry but the egg does not grow like us human our tummy grow out.
    they are good baking only
    laura

6. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    Okay.. Now I see it isn't a good idea.

What makes them double yolk?? I could understand one out of a hundred or so, like twins. But how is every one of those eggs double yolked??

7. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Quote:Usually if you get an extremely large egg it is double or sometimes even triple yolked. Do they have these all the time or just every so often? I would imagine they save back the doubles till they get a carton of them unless there are lots and then I dont have the slightest idea how they could possibly get doubles all the time.

Double is just when an egg ends up with two yolks instead of one. A new layer or one that doesn't lay regularly sometime will have doubles.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    There were dozens of them, at least 50 dozen. [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Then A) they just had large sized eggs and lied or B) they have a LOT of young pullets. And I mean a LOT. [​IMG]

10. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    I guess when I go back up there I'll have to buy a couple dozen and check them out... Crack a few open and see if they are doubles, and if they aren't see if they're fertile. So I can incubate them or eat 'em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by