1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Country -vs- city hens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BusyBlonde, Oct 2, 2011.

1. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    A good friend of mine called me a couple days ago. She had raised her babies from chicks, and had one who was an egg eater and had bumble-foot she needed to get rid of. She asked if she could have one of our barred rock hens (about a month younger than hers) to replace her hen, and we would send hers to "freezer camp". Not a problem. Then she asked if she could purchase a second BR hen as she was afraid her hens would gang up on a single BR hen.

LOL - this morning, she told us she needed to bring back the hens we'd given her! Apparently they were bullies, making her hens hide, getting beat up for dominance. She ended up asking us to take the more aggressive hen back. No problem! Waiting on her hen to show us an egg, now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    sounds like she is clueless on how to integrate into a flock, and basic management...hmmmmm.... need to educate her...[​IMG] sounds like you got the best of it too...

3. There's the difference! Our country hens wear red handkerchiefs to cover their rednecks. ... they can handle anything. they are not prissy sissy or fussy. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BusyBlonde

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    These are her first chickens, she wanted two of ours so that her 3 wouldn't pick on them so bad. Hers have also been treated more as pets, and ours - while I enjoy them - are not. She brought the more aggressive hen back, and it seems that it will work out with the one she kept.

5. awwwwwwww... I think it's actually really cute. Mine are pets as well more so than anything else. I would have done the same think she did actually.

shhhhhh... dont tell. our country chicks might get a complex!!!

6. BusyBlonde

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yeah, they sure aren't shy! Love the idea of the hens with the handkerchiefs!!! LOL

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Not all city folks are "cityfied". I can't wait till I can move out to the country. We do however, treat our layers as pets. [​IMG]

8. BusyBlonde

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Oneofseven, sorry if I offended with the country-vs-city - none was intended! It's what my friend said when she called to ask if she could return the chickens - that our two country chickens were whooping up on her three city chickens. Ya gotta be tough when you're finding your status in my flock. [​IMG] The one she kept is head hen already.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Integrating can be dangerous. But I wonder if she was confusing normal pecking order stuff with something really dangerous, her being new to chickens? What looks to some people are really rough and dangerous is viewed by some of us as not too bad. But, again, integration can be dangerous. I can't judge what was going on without being there.

One thing I'll suggest. Since you mixed the flocks, be on the lookout for disease. I don't mean to frighten you since many people do what you have done and nothing bad happens. But when chickens are exposed to new chickens, they can get diseases. While it does not happen often, when it does, it can be bad.

From the way I understand it, I don't think quarantine would have really done you any good since the it sounds like the hens were coming from flocks that were not exposed to new chickens in the last month or so. But it is possible that flocks can have a diseaes that they can pass on even if they never come down with it. They develop immunity so no longer how long you quarantine them, they will never show symptoms.

I don't think you need to get freaked out and paranoid, but I do think it would be a good idea to read up on the symptoms of Coccidiosis and just watch a little close for symptoms for a few weeks. Being prudent is not being paranoid.

Good luck. Nice story.

10. Quote:X2 oneofseven. No offense meant. We are just joshin. We cant wait till you move out to the country either!!!! then there will be one more of us chicken nut heads out here!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by