County Fair dilemma

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 8WarEagleChicks, Aug 16, 2010.

1. 8WarEagleChicks

8WarEagleChicks In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    Hello-
    I have 3 sex linked hens and one pretty white EE hen. We hatched them back in January...our first time ever doing that! I have a few upper elementary age kids and was thinking about showing some or all of the girls in the county fair coming up in Sept. Is it worth it? I am not sure what category to enter them in since there is not an EE or Sex linked category. How do they judge miscellaneous birds?

One of my sex links has a floppy comb (is that bad?) and the EE hen doesn't have a beard (or do you call it a muff?) but she lays such pretty blue eggs and has the green legs.

Also the gilrs free range all day and get upset and start pacing in the pen when they aren't turned out as quick as they like. How will they handle being penned in a tiny cage for a week and a half, with hundereds of other birds?

Not to mention how do we bathe the lucky contestants!

I thought it would be fun for the kids to win a ribbon but am thinking maybe we'll show our pumpkins this year and try next year with a purebred bird.

What are your thoughts?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about showing, so I hope someone will knowlege will come along nd address your issues. I do think the birds will be very stressed in tiny cages, unless you have a great deal of time to work with them before hand.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Take em.. if you are doing 4h.. take the birds... It is well worth it... They show in non-standard or mutt breed... they judge by the overall health and conformation of the bird. Even if you have an APA bird that isn't perfect you can show it under another class... It is soooooo fun.. You should totally take a couple birds.. Wash them and blow dry them and put some baby oil on their legs, wattles and combs to make em soft and keep them clean.. Have fun.. that is what it is about...You will learn a lot by doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by