County Fair - Question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by flyinghenfarm, Apr 16, 2012.

1. flyinghenfarm

flyinghenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    HI this is my first year in 4H. I was wondering what was the best breed of chickens for the fair, what the judges are looking for? Are bantams or large fowl better to show? And where do you if you are shower, do you get your birds?
    Hope you can answer my question,
    flyinghenfarm

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

you can show just about any breed at a fair. Check with your fair board to see what classes are available. The best birds come from private breeders that follow breed standards when selecting breeding stock.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. My DD showed both Bantams and Standard birds, meat chickens, turkeys and ducks but that is because our fair had all kinds of classes. The best birds to show are the ones that have been handled and won't fuss around. Even the best breeder birds won't matter if you don't handle them and won't stand still on a table. Some of my DD's birds came from a hatchery but you have to hope you get one that doesn't have too many faults. My advice to you is get the book Standard of Perfection. It will list everything about the breed plus all faults to look for. :thumbsup

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. ruthanne

ruthanne Out Of The Brooder

Where do you get the book of standards? I would like to get one, and how much do they cost?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by