County Fair Show Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Salty Yardbird, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Salty Yardbird

Salty Yardbird New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Just entered my buff orpington into her (our) first county fair. Any tips or tricks to get her ready to strut her stuff proudly?

Thanks!

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well when ever I go to a show I always like to do a few things to make my birds look there best [​IMG]
    -Trim there nails. I find using a file at the end gives the nails more of a smooth, natural look.
    -Look over for broken/discolored feathers. Pluck these out.
    -Wash the feet and face and gently wipe down the feathers with a damp towel. This makes the bird pop more. If you plan on actually washing your bird, make sure you do it at least 5 days before the show. This give the animal time to get back the natural oils that have been washed out.
    -You can use baby oil and rub down the legs and wattles/comb. This makes them softer and brings out the color on there face. make sure NOT to get and baby oil on the feathers. It will ruin them
    -Keep your bird in a nice, clean cage. Change the bedding's at least once a day, if not more, so that the bird wont get any mess on them
    -Work with your bird, make sure she is calm towards people, especially since they will most likely be picked up and handled. Simulate what a judge would do; spreading the wings, checking the nails, looking over the feathers, looking over the face etc. etc.
    -And one of the most important things, HAVE FUN!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    If you use the baby oil, rub it in as completely as possible. You should be able to touch the beak, comb, and legs afterwards and not have any oily residue on your fingers.

4. Salty Yardbird

Salty Yardbird New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Great tips! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by