County Fair to sell beer?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by seymojo536, Jun 12, 2008.

1. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/06/12/UCFAIR.ART_ART_06-12-08_A1_KLAFHLF.html?sid=101

This
    was in our paper. My kids show at this fair and my wife and I are 4H advisers. It's a small youth oriented show/fair. The local businesses really support the kids and it still has that old-time feel to it. Now to make a couple of extra dollars, the fair board wants to have a beer garden. This is the first we have heard of this. It's not like we are out of the loop. If it wasn't for the sheriff, my guess is they wouldn't have bothered to tell anyone until the start of the fair. Boy, it's going to be standing room only at the next board meeting.
    LUCY!! You got some 'splaning to do!

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't read your link yet...I will after posting...(I know it's kinda backwards!!!!)
    I just wanted to say....Every single fair I have ever went to....when I was a child and even now as a parent there has been a beer garden....
    The towns I grew up in....Not even on the map had beer tents at there fairs. Bigger towns had beer tents, Large towns had been tents....

My kids show animals in our local fair through 4-H and there is a beer tent...It is actually kitty corner from the 4-H animal building...

I am not saying good or bad here. I am just stating what I have exsperienced through other fairs....I honestly have never been to a fair (nor heard of one) that didn't have a beer tent/garden/pavillion.

Ok...Now I will go and read the link....

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I will bet the Beer Garden is "standing room only" too!

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I grew up with the same experience as Run-A-Muck. every fair, regardless of size or purpose, had a beer garden. NEVER a problem. I think fairs, by nature, tend to have more fun-loving people.

But, if this has never happened before at your particluar fair, I can understand your hesitancy. Especially not being consulted.

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yup I've never heard of a fair without a beer tent either, except in dry counties.

6. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I just read the article....

I am not saying a beer garden is a must or a must not....But to me it's just the way it has always been around here(and fairs I have been too). Our local town has an annual street dance beer garden there. A fair with a beer garden and even a firemans ball with a beer garden.
    Now the township I actually live in is a 'dry' township. I don't know of anything they ever have going on in the terms of a fair or anything. So if the township your fair is in is a dry one, then I can understand the issues. I guess I don't know of any fair committees going door to door asking the residents of a town if they would like a beer tent at the fairs or not. But it might have been mentioned at a town meeting that not everyone attends....

Again...I can understand concern....But at the same time as far as I know it's almost like breathing to have a beer tent at a fair/carnival.....JMO

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Well there is a first time for everything....

8. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    We also have a beer garden at our fair, it is outside the railroad tracks so it is not in the middle of the fair, but definitely in eyesight. I don't drink, but I don't think there is anything wrong with having one. It has been that way for a long time.

Just my 2 opinion.

9. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    I've been to several county fairs and they are no beer gardens. Street fairs are another story.

My thoughts are there are enough opportunities for people to drink and drive, why give them another.

Tracy
    Who lives in the heart of it all

10. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Where I grew up in Pennsylvania there were beer tents at the county fair, but not here in the Bible Belt...[​IMG]

Nothing like getting on the "zipper" or "tilt-a-whirl" after a few beers...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by