County Fair- Total Beginner thinking of entering a Buff Orp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RekbaSkins, Feb 20, 2009.

1. RekbaSkins

RekbaSkins Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    Hi everyone,
    Like I said above, I am a TOTAL beginner when it comes to chicken genetics and showing. I did have a thought of entering my buff orpington hen into the local fair- mainly because I think she is pretty (again, with my complete novice eye) and would love to have an experience like that during my lifetime. [​IMG]

I am wondering what are some simple guidelines to follow before entering her into a fair judging contest? I would hate to invest all that time just to be laughed off the stage!

Thanks for any help. I attached a few pics of the girl I had in mind (she is the sweetest thing, LOVES attention and will actively seek me out to pat her, lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That's a production type Orpington, she wouldn't show well. However, her coloring is really nice! You could enter her for fun, but don't expect to do well. If you want to show chickens and do well (which you should, it's super fun!) you'll have to invest in some good quality birds. Contact a breeder that raises the breed you're looking for and purchase a pair or trio.

She is a very cute chicken though. [​IMG]

3. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    personaly I think she would do great! She has the right amount of points ( 5 ) , right color, right leg color and good size, the only problem is the earlobes, they should be red not white

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:She'll be docked really heavily for her tail though. Orps should have a round tail somewhat like a cochin's.

5. RekbaSkins

RekbaSkins Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks for the input [​IMG]

If I do enter, it would only be for fun. I would never expect to do well, just something for the scrapbooks!

Too bad there isn't a "sweetest chicken" entry- lol, no doubt she would win.

Thanks again, Rebecca

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I agree, looks like a production bird. She does have nice coloring, but she should look something similar to this:
    [​IMG]

7. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    You could purchase from a breeder, those birds will do a lot better in shows

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I like your Orp. She has nice color. I have a production Orp too. She gets along with ALL the other hens and has a great disposition.

9. flagday76

flagday76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Carthage NY
    She has really nice color! Very pretty, vibrant gold. Take her to the fair! It is for fun after all:thumbsup She may not clean up at a bigger show, but for fun at the county fair, go for it! Maybe if you have kids or know any 4-H kids, you could have them do showmanship with her. Just an idea [​IMG]

10. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    The good news is she'd probably do well because few people enter large birds. But keep in mind that she probably wouldn't do well in a larger show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by