1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

County Fair?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nitrostreak, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    I haven't actually BEEN to a country fair, or any kind of fair for that matter, since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, so I was thinking back on it recently, as there's been a lot of talk around my town about the fair being in town.

I vaguely recall stalls and cages in which many farm animals were being kept, and I believe I saw ribbons on some of those containments.

Has anyone here ever showed their poultry (or any animal, really) at a County Fair?

I'm curious, as I imagine it'd be a fun way to hop into the show pen, if only for the fun of it.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:imy family has done the county fair for over 10 years it can be lots of fun the kids have in 4h group or ffa group to show

3. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    I'd love to get my little brother into 4H or FFA, but I've been under the impression that those are geared towards high school and below...

I have looked into the 4H's website.... It's so confusing [​IMG]

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:9 to 19 years of age

5. Nitrostreak

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County

Definitely excludes me, then [​IMG]

21 years and counting! Ah well. Guess I'll just let the brother show my birds [​IMG]

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan

Definitely excludes me, then [​IMG]

21 years and counting! Ah well. Guess I'll just let the brother show my birds [​IMG]

after that u can become 4h leader or find open poultry shows in ur area

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i showed poultry for 4 years in FFA. Very easy and showmanship is fun. u learn alot in showing. lots of differnt breed names and differnt sicknesses. I got many ribbons in showing and cash prizes. got 1st-8th place depending on the birds. u can show 8th-12th grade in FFA also one year out of high school, my fair lets any age show open show at the fair. im going to show birds next year and ill be 20 by then

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  8. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    As a new chicken grammy I was soooo excited this year to attend our county fair (Midland Michigan) and was deeply sad to find out chickens were banned due to "bird flu" I kid you not. Every other type of bird present, ducks, pheasants, pigeons, turkeys, etc but no chickens. [​IMG]

9. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i know i went to middlen witch kinda domb because turkey can carriy birdflu too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by