1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

county law

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by andrea85, Jul 12, 2007.

1. andrea85

andrea85 New Egg

Jul 12, 2007
    I have 8 chickens (left [​IMG]). My neighbors dogs have killed 2 of my chickens, my 2 geese, 3 rabbits, and attacked my dog. I have had many talks with her and she seems concerned, and chains up her dogs for a little while... but in no time at all her dogs are jumping the fence and getting my animals. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there are regulations on how many chickens you can have in Graham, WA. I'm really ready to call animal control, but don't want to call on her dogs if i'm not even allowed that many chickens. Also... I don't want to hurt the dogs.. but what else can I do to keep my animals safe... i'm worried that if I put in a bigger fence they'll only start digging under it. My husband started putting the dead animals on their porch, but I don't think thats getting the point accross... I would like to have a good relationship with my neighbor, but this is making it very difficult!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Just call city hall anonymously and ask how many chickens are allowed in your town. Or look up your code of ordinance on line if your city has a web site. use the search feature to search for "chickens", "hens", "poultry" "fowl" Livestock" "animals".

3. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I found your code of ordinance. Here's what I found re: Chickens, and dogs running at large... clearly the neighbor is at fault. However, this stuff is just froim Chapter 6, "Animals". Second, you'll find the Zoning restrictions, which limit the amount you can have. I don't know if you live in urban or rural, you'll have to determine that, and then its based on lot size.

6.03.020 Animals at Large on Private Property.
    It is unlawful for the owner or person having control or custody of any animal to allow such
    animal to enter or trespass upon private property without the express permission of the owner or
    caretaker of such property. Any such animal may be seized and impounded.
    (Ord. 95-151S § 3
    (part), 1996; Ord. 87-40S § 2 (part), 1987)

6.03.025 Poultry Running at Large.
    It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having the charge and control of any chickens,
    geese, ducks, or other domestic fowl to allow such poultry to enter or trespass upon private
    property without the express permission of the owner or caretaker of such property. Any such
    fowl may be seized and impounded. (Ord. 95-151S § 3 (part), 1996)

6.03.070 Animals Injuring Humans, Domestic Animals, or Livestock - Gross
    Misdemeanor.
    It is unlawful for the owner or other person having control or custody of any animal to allow
    such animal to cause injury to a human, domestic animal, or livestock which is acting in a lawful
    manner. Any such animal may be seized and impounded. Any violation of this Section is a
    gross misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of 365 days in jail and/or a $5,000.00 fine.
    (Ord.
    99-17 § 2 (part), 1999; Ord. 95-151S §3 (part), 1996; Ord. 87-40S § 2 (part), 1987)

6.14.010 Unlawful to Sell or Give Away in Quantity Under Six.
    It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to sell or offer for sale, barter or give
    away living baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings or other fowl under two months of age in any
    quantity less than six. (Ord. 89-141 § 5 (part), 1989; Res. 7256 §1, 1959; prior Code
    § 36.04.010)

ZONING
    18A.35.090 Agricultural Uses and Animals.
    A. Purpose. The purpose of this Section is to regulate agricultural uses and animals, and to
    provide certain limitations for the placement of these uses. Minimum lot sizes, setbacks,
    and best management practices are used to reduce conflicts between land uses that may
    not be compatible and to protect environmentally sensitive areas.
    B. General Standards. Agricultural uses and animals that are permitted in the Use Tables
    or pursuant to Section 18A.35.090, Agricultural Uses and Animals, shall be subject to
    the following requirements:
    1. Animals As a Principal Use. Animals shall be permitted subject to the following
    criteria:
    a. Livestock. Livestock shall be permitted subject to this Section and the
    following provisions:
    (1) A fence used to enclose pasture lands may be constructed on the property
    line.
    (2) A fence constructed to permanently keep livestock out of buffers abutting
    streams, rivers, and wetlands shall be required pursuant to Chapters 17.12,
    Wetlands, and 21.18, Fish and Wildlife Habitat Areas. Such fence shall be
    constructed before livestock is introduced to a site.
    (3) Any barn, stable, riding arena, paddock, or similar enclosure shall be
    setback 45 feet from any adjacent property line.
    b. Small Animals. Small animals shall be permitted subject to the following
    provisions:
    (1) Any cages, coop or enclosure shall be setback 45 feet from any adjacent
    property line except kennels or catteries which shall be setback 75 feet from
    any adjacent property line.
    c. Wild Animals and Reptiles. No person shall have, maintain, or possess any
    wolf, fox, chimpanzee, or other exotic, vicious, or poisonous animal or reptile
    except as set forth in Chapter 6.16.
    C. Urban Area Requirements. Agricultural uses and animals shall be permitted in all
    urban zoning classifications as an accessory use to a residential dwelling subject to the
    standards in this Section. The following requirements apply to livestock and small
    animals kept in urban areas:
    1. Livestock are not permitted on lots less than 1 acre.
    2. On any lot from 1 acre to less than 5 acres in size, the number of livestock shall not
    exceed 2 such animals which are 12 months or more of age.
    3. No more than 6 poultry, peacocks, or rabbits and similar small animals in any
    combination are permitted on lots less than 1 acre.
    4. On any lot from 1 acre to less than 5 acres in size, no more than 12 poultry,
    peacocks, or rabbits and similar small animals in any combination are permitted per
    acre.
    Title 18A - Pierce County Development Regulations – Zoning
    18A.35 -- 60
    18A.35.090
    5. On any lot 5 acres or greater in size, there shall be no restriction on the number of
    animals kept subject to the other provisions in this Section.
    6. Any cages, barn, stable, coop or enclosure shall be setback 45 feet from any adjacent
    property line except kennels or catteries which shall be setback 75 feet from any
    adjacent property lines.
    7. Dogs and Cats. Any combination of five dogs or cats that individually exceed seven
    months of age are permitted. Any combination of six or more dogs or cats that
    individually exceed seven months of age are permitted pursuant to Section
    18A.33.260 C., Animal Production, Boarding and Slaughtering.
    D. Rural Area Requirements. Agricultural uses and animals shall be permitted in all
    rural zoning classifications as an accessory use to a residential dwelling subject to the
    standards in Section 18A.35.090 B.1.a. and b. The following requirements apply to
    livestock and small animals kept in rural areas:
    1. Livestock are not permitted on lots less than one-half acre.
    2. On lots less than one-half acre in size, poultry, pigeons, peacocks, and similar birds
    and rabbits and similar animals are limited to a total of 12 in any combination.
    3. On lots one-half acre or greater in size, there shall be no restriction on the number of
    animals kept subject to the other provisions in this Section.
    4. Any cages, coop or enclosure shall be setback 45 feet from any adjacent property
    line except kennels or catteries which shall be setback 75 feet from any adjacent
    property lines.
    E. Additional Standards for Environmentally Sensitive Areas. Areas designated
    Natural in the Pierce County Shoreline Management Use Regulations and the drainage
    basins of Burley Lagoon, Minter Bay, Rocky Bay, Filucy Bay, and Clear Creek as
    depicted on maps on file with the Department. In addition to the other requirements of
    this Section, the following standards shall apply to all commercial and non-commercial
    agricultural uses in these environmentally sensitive areas.
    1. Livestock and small animals are not permitted on lots less than 1 acre.
    2. Livestock shall be limited to 1 per acre of fenced usable pasture.
    3. Small animals shall be limited to 5 per acre.
    F. Hobby Farms. Farm animals, agricultural activities, and associated structures may be
    established on any lot as a non-commercial use without an associated dwelling unit,
    provided:
    1. The applicant completes a Hobby Farm Agreement provided by the Department.
    Each Hobby Farm Agreement shall:
    a. Define the type and intensity of all proposed agricultural activities.
    b. Clarify that the use of the site is for private, non-commercial use.
    c. Provide time frames for periodic Departmental monitoring.
    d. Be signed by the property owner and recorded as a title notice with the Pierce
    County Auditor.
    2. Hobby farms must comply with all other requirements of this Section.
    G. Farm Management Plans. The requirements in this Section may be exceeded provided
    the property owner completes and complies with a Farm Management Plan in
    conjunction with the Pierce County Conservation District, the Natural Resources
    Conservation Service, or other agency acceptable to the Department. The Plan must
    address, at a minimum, best management practices for the control of animal wastes,
    stormwater runoff, and erosion.

I got all this from the web site: http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/PC/Abtus/ourorg/council/code/Index.htm

Hope
    this helps!!
    Stacey

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Is this neighbour dense?! having bodies put on my porch would make me wake up! Take the two excess birds and hide them until ACO goes away and rat this idiot out!!! There's no reason that she can let her animals get away will killing all of yours!

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    An electric fence around your property might make the dogs think twice about getting into your yard. I just bought electric poultry netting (havn't tried it yet) and I'm adding a few additional strands of electric wire on top to avoid and jumpers. Regular fencing is expensive and the netting is a less expensive option.

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I'd give them a shot in a buttocks with a BB gun. it wont kill them but it will get their attention and make them think twice before comming back.

7. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Wow! your laws are more restrictive then King County's, move north!
    How much land do you have and are you zoned as rural?

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hello fellow Washingtonian! Even if you have "too many" chickens for your town... as long as they are clean it shouldn't be a problem. What's worse? You losing some of your birds to a new home to stay under limit or having them killed by the neighbors dog? Something has to be done about the neighbors I think. They did reimburse you for your lost livestock right?

Edit: by the looks of it, even if you are on a small lot, less than half acre, you can still have 12 chickens/poultry/the like.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  9. Dwightm

Dwightm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    Hello Seachick. I was wondering if you could tell me how I can find my code of ordinance where I live. I know it is a stupid question but I have looked everywhere I can think of and still no luck.

10. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Dwightm,

Where do you live? I can try looking. I have had a LOT of practice doing these searches as I've been collecting information to help persuade our city to change our no-chicken laws!! let me know the town, county, and state and I'll give it a shot.

Otherwise you can try the municode web site (not many there though). Or try your local county or town web site, search around for "code of ordinance" and then look in both the land use zoning section, and the "animals" section. If there's a pdf search function search animal, chicken, fowl, poultry, livestock, pet, rooster. You may need tor ead the definitions section at the beginning of each part to know whether, for instance, chickens are considered livestock, small animals, etc. Its different in each place.

Stacey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by