1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coup at the coops!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Broodyhen, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Broodyhen

Broodyhen New Egg

Apr 26, 2010
    I have two coops. The smaller coop holds my Black Cochin hen, Sophie, Golden Polish Hen, Squeegie, and the Cochin Rooster, Cogburn. They used to live in the larger coop, but when all the Cochins went broody, I got rid of all of them except Sophie. Then I got 5 Barred Rock Hens and two Black Star Hens. For the past 2 months, they've lived in the larger coop.

So, all free range the property in two separate groups. Lately, though, I've noticed that Sophie will chest bump all the bigger hens if they get too close to her and "her" flock. Yesterday, I went out to feed the horses, and I noticed that Sophie, Cogburn, and Squeegie had taken over the larger coop. Sophie would allow the bigger hens in, but if they got too close to her, Cogburn, or Squeegie, she'd chase them out.

This week our evening temps are getting down into the 30's, so I didn't want to run the risk of Sophie not letting the bigger hens into the sleeping area of the coop. I ended up putting them in the smaller coop for the night.

Do you think this is just the natural settling of the "pecking order"? The bigger hens should start laying in March, and I've noticed that Cogburn has started doing his little "wing-spread-hoppy-dance" around a few of them. Should I just put them all in the big coop and let them sort it out?

Thanks!
    Trace

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I would let them sort is out for about a week trial and check them each night, make sure they big ones are getting to bed and they will sort it out eventually...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by