coup d' etat in my chicken coop UPDATE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buster, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have had a problem in my chicken coop. I have a salmon faverolle rooster that I separated to doctor and when I put him back in the hens really beat him up. He survived but has not crowed since I put him back with the girls and hides in the corner all day long. I noticed that his feathers were being plucked out and his feet were being pecked to the point that they were bleeding. I also noticed that the other hens were getting beat up bad so I watched for a while over a couple of days and realized it was the top hen, a new hampshire red, that was responsible for 95% of the damage. In short, she is a tyrant. So, I toppled the government in the coop today by capturing her and putting her in a cage. I will leave her in the cage in the coop for about a week so that she loses her place in the pecking order and hopefully this will curb her bad behavior. Hopefully, I have effectively achieved a coup d' etat.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  2. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    You should re-name her Fidel Castro!

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good luck! I just reintroduced a pullet after some rehab and it is tricky. Your lucky that you were able to figure out who the problem is.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

So far, so good. The rooster is strutting around and trying to mount hens now. Tranquility reigns!

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Yay for tranquility!! Hope it has the desired results Jared!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If she doesn't integrate into the flock without more problems I would put her in the stew pot.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks MissPrissy- This is my last attempt with this hen. I'm ready for that if she beats up this flock anymore.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Well, I let her out today after a week and w/ in 45 minutes she had pecked new wounds in my rooster and had him hiding in the corner again. So I caught her and put her back in the cage. Looks like I'll be having chicken soup this weekend.

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Sorry it came to that Jared. You certainly gave her a chance to mend her ways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by