coup design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Dude, Jul 5, 2008.

1. The Dude

The Dude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    MO
    how well can chickens deal with 1/2 inch hardware cloth bottom? thanks. the dude

2. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    Should be fine! Just watch out for predators

3. The Dude

The Dude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    MO
    Thank you very much for responce.
    My coops floor is 2X4 wire overlayed with 1/2
    hardware cloth and my brother said they could
    walk in on it fine.
    Just wanted to get a second and third to his 1st.
    Thanx again,The Dude

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    One problem with having small holed hardware cloth is that the poop doesn't have enough room to fall through, which gets pretty darned messy. You might want to find wire with a little bigger openings.

5. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd go with a wooden floor. I don't imagine that walking on wire is to comfortable, it can be hard on the chickens' feet when they land from the roost. That may result in bumblefeet. And as CoffeeLady mentioned, the wire can become enmeshed [​IMG] with the hens' fertilizer. [​IMG]
    Unless you live in a very hot climate, it may be too cold for the hens during the winter.

Carla

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

One thing that comes to mind is that it may get really messy and hard to clean. I prefer to use the deep litter method myself. Secondly, hardware cloth will be really hard on heavy breeds' feet, so depending on the size of your birds, this may be an issue too.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Personally I think walking on wire all day would hurt their little feet after a while. Plus it could greatly increase the chances of them getting bumble foot, which can be pretty nasty to treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by