Coup 'furniture'

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by impis, Apr 25, 2011.

1. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    hi,

I have a new run built for our school chickens. It gives them much more room than before, but is fairly bare inside. Just home made compost to scratch and roll about in. I have put in a couple of cut off logs and half a bale of straw - to give them something other than the ground to stand on. I have also bought a treat ball - similar to those for dogs. The idea is that treats fall out as they move it around.
    I was just wondering if any of you have ideas of what else could be put in there in order to enrich their environment, and give them something interesting to do. How do you keep your chooks entertained?

imp

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Mine pretty much entertain themselves while scratching around in the grass looking for bugs.

Cut up some strawberries and throw it around for them. They'll love that!

My chickens also have a cool area I call "Sherwood Forest" that they run to whenever they hear a hawk.

They like to take their afternoon naps in Sherwood Forest.

[​IMG]

3. kjhowe77

kjhowe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Broome County, NY
    My dh likes to put car parts in there for them to stand on or under. Right now they have the front end of some old tractor, I think and the fiberglass front end of some other car, lol. As you can tell, I know nothing about cars, it's all junk to me. He did mention putting the kids old slide in there last weekend but I told him I didn't think the ducks could climb the stairs, lol.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They like to stand on things, which you have. They also like stand and especially rest, underneath things. Resting while hidden keeps them safer from predators and is an instinctive behavior. You could give them a little platform or lean-to, to get underneath. Just make sure it's something that's sturdy and can't collapse on them.

I put an old resin patio table and a couple of the chairs in my run. They get under them and on top of them. Out in the yard, they like to rest under shrubs and also under our patio chairs. I have a raised planter that has a very low shelf underneath. They like to squeeze themselves under the shelf for naps, too. They have to crawl to get under there, but they do it every day.

I have a big black rubber livestock feeding bowl. I put it in the covered end of the run where it stays dry, filled with sand. They can spend hours messing around in it. They dust bathe in it, nap in it, dig around in it and they love to stand on the thick squishy edge of it. In the winter, I think it's warmer than standing on the frozen ground, too. So maybe make a dust bath area for them. Although, they're probably really happy with the compost already.

You could also plant some grass or other greens for them. They can either be covered with open mesh bottomed garden flats turned upside down or wire covered wood frames. There's another thread that's active on the forum right now about this, with pictures.

You can also grow a flat of wheat grass to put in the run or hang a suet cage with greens in it.

5. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Quote:I LOVE Sherwood Forest!![​IMG]

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I put an old piece of mirror in the run. Just set it on the ground and lean it against the fencing. My girls love to look at themselves and peck at the image looking back at them. Lot's of fun to watch.

7. cooper38

cooper38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    How about a flat screen tv, mini fridge, and recliner. Oh never mind I thought you ask what kind of furniture I would want in my coop.[​IMG]

8. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    I put a small pile of large branches in the run. When I put BOSS down, I throw it on top of the pile. This makes it a little harder for them to get. They have to really dig in the pile to get most of the BOSS.

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Mine have a mirror. My BO roo will stand in front of it and crow and preen and flap his wings (he thinks he is hot). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by