Coup plans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cumminskellya, Feb 27, 2015.

1. cumminskellya

cumminskellya New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    I am trying to find a way or somewhere to get plans for a chicken coup. I need something that spells everything out for me since I am not a construction person. I have my chicks, arrived today and now I need to start building. I am trying to save money by doing this myself and have 10 chicks.

Can anyone help me or guide me in finding coup designs that are simple where I can go get the lumber and start building. I live in Austin TX so our weather gets hot.

Thanks for helping if you can

2. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    is that 10 chicks it or do u intend to eat some males or do you intend to get more? will they free range or does a run large enough for them need to be included (i is your land already well guardeedd against predators) and have you looked in the coops section for what style coop you like. post a few pics of your favorites so we can offer designs that are more what you like.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    these are my coop and run during construction. we have predators like you wouldnt believe.

3. cumminskellya

cumminskellya New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    We live in city but our allowed to have chickens, have a huge backyard on almost 1 acre which is big for the city. We are not free ranging because of dogs for now, run will be enclosed on all sides about 10 feet long and 6 ft high (about fence high). Organic feed already started and hope to have all 10 chicks survive for eggs. We have had a few coons but no other predators and have not had any in a while. All our females and not planning on getting a rooster.

I am so new to all of this I have looked at coop designs but I am a stay at home mom of 2 kids and not builder friendly. Will have to borrow tools from family to build on my own to save money.

Plans would be helpful because I have no idea how to do it. Our weather gets hot here so I need a coup that has ventilation and most likely 5 nesting boxes. I want to do the Deep Litter Method as well.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Kelly. Do you have a Tech school near you? Any chance you could talk to the instructor of the building program to get the names of some students who might be able to help you? It's a reach, but maybe a coop build would be a welcome class project if you supplied the materials. An other option would be to go to Lowes or Home depot and buy a pre-built garden shed. They will set it up for you, then all you have to do is build the run. How many birds are you planning on? IMO, important for you in Texas would be lots of ventilation, lots of shade, 1/2" hardware cloth. For DL, dirt floor, with a skirt on the OUTSIDE for predator proofing.

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    this is an excellent idea. Also consider the local high school shop teacher. Tell him what you want and around here if they can work it in, they'll build what you want/need in shop class and sometimes you can get discounted materials because it's being done at school......

6. cumminskellya

cumminskellya New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    That is a really good idea, I will go ahead and email the shop teacher at the High School and see if that is an option. We have 10 baby chicks and I do not for see us getting really any more past 15 birds. Yes ventilation is key I read that.

Hmm a pre-built garden shed is not a bad idea either, I will look up some ideas and check on that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by