Coupla questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorsesandBirds, May 12, 2011.

1. HorsesandBirds

HorsesandBirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    So we have 4 week-old pullets and 15 day-old mixed heavy breed cockerels. (the feed store screwed up & they didn't all come in at once!) The cockerels are destined for the freezer and the pullets are going to become our layers. Right now I can tell them apart simply by their size, obviously, but I'm concerned that as they grow, I won't be able to remember which are the girls and which are the boys. By the time the boys are ready to go at 12 weeks, will it have become obvious which sex is which? Or should I make an effort to somehow mark the girls (leg bands??)

The girls are 2 barred rocks and 2 silver-laced wyandottes. The boys are a variety of breeds, not sure which kinds at this point, but I'm pretty sure I have some BRs and some Wyandottes in the bunch. Actually, here's another question. Are the BR chicks always black with yellow spots on their heads? None of the boys look like that, but I do have some that are black with yellow under their wings/bellies.

Finally, at what age can they go outside & start playing in the grass? Can we feed them grass in the brooder?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, I think, that at 12 weeks, you will definitely be able to tell boys from girls, but if you're a bit nervous about that, it won't hurt to mark the girls.

Now, with the Barred Rocks, they don't have yellow on them at all, the spot on their heads would be white.

I let my chicks go outside as soon as the weather is nice and warm. I have a bottomless pen that I put them in, so they can peck around in the grass, and I put food and water out there, and I'll leave them outside all day. Just make sure they aren't in the direct sunlight if it's really hot out. I usually put an old fitted bed sheet over the top of the pen, and clip in on with clothes pins. This makes some nice shade and also will keep any crows or bluejays (those birds will eat chicks) out of their pen.

Good luck with your chicks!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by