1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Couple Birds in Question... LOTS of PICTURES!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mossfamilyfarm, May 28, 2010.

1. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    So... these are all just hatchery chicks... these are my very first chickens and I bought them before I knew that there were differences [​IMG] But I still like my little ones anyways... and plan on getting some new stock to start a small hobby breeding thing... but anyways... I have some silkies and I though *MAYBE* just maybe someone would have some ideas about sex?? I know, its a long shot. And I have some other bantams, cochins, I think... the black one and the redish colored one... if anyone could tell me the sex or what breed they are and if they MIGHT happen to be decent chickens in spite of just being hatchery quality... Thanks Much!!!
    I am just putting up thumbnails... so click on the pictures for a closer view!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am mostly wondering if the red/brown one is a bantam cochin and what color it is considered... like I said these are my first ever chickens and I got these bantams for more like pets and got some other breeds for layers... so thanks for the help!!

2. the cochins look like pullets.

not sure about the silkies.....but i'm gonna guess the white one is a boy and the grey ish one is a pullet

3. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Songster

May 28, 2010
    Cochins look girly to me, The white Silkie looks to have a hint of streamers and a fairly big comb so I'd guess roo, the blue looks girly.
    Brownish Cochin looks like she could be Partridge, to me, though the feather patterning looks a bit different, maybe because she is young.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    Thanks! I was thinking that the cochins were pullets.. they just kinda look it... but the silkies I had no idea! There are actually two different white ones, but they look almost identical, so I probably have two roos there, I was also thinking that the blue might be a girl... but I guess I will know for sure when there are either eggs or crowing / roo behavior...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by