Couple brooder questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Omellette, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Omellette

Omellette Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Bc, Canada
    I have a watermelon/produce box for my chicks (they come next wed). I have lined the bottom with cardboard (so I can replace that instead of the whole box if it gets wet/soiled). I was wondering if I can line the bottom with plastic as well (drop cloth type). I worry about them slipping if the bedding has been moved. Also I have seen people line the brooders with paper towel over the bedding for the first couple days. Is there a reason? I have pine pelleted bedding that I'm going to fluff up first.
    Thank you in advanced!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think it would be fine to line the bottom with plastic. True, plastic is a little slippery, but even if some does get uncovered by displacement of the bedding, the chicks should be able to avoid it. I use a completely plastic tub as a chick brooder, with ventilation holes cut in the sides and a mesh top. Even though the bedding gets kicked all over the place, I've never had a problem with a chick slipping or injuring itself on the smooth plastic floor.

As for the layering of paper towels, the main reason for that is to keep the chicks off of the shavings/other litter and encourage them to eat feed. Many young chicks are fascinated by shavings, and will often stuff themselves with their bedding instead of nutritious feed. A layer of paper towels helps keep the chicks focused on real food until they learn how to eat (usually within 3 days). Then, the paper towels can be removed.

Good luck with your chicks!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. Omellette

Oct 13, 2014
    Bc, Canada
    Oh! Okay. Thank you so much for your help :)

4. Omellette

Oct 13, 2014
    Bc, Canada
    So would it be better to just put paper towel over the cardboard? Or over the bedding?

5. Farm Girl 1

Farm Girl 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2014
    I would still put the bedding, just keep paper towel over it for a while.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would put some bedding in and cover it paper towels. Then, when the chicks are old enough to be on the shavings, you can just peel the towels away.

7. Omellette

Oct 13, 2014
    Bc, Canada
    Thank you guys! I'm getting super excited

8. TheMallardMan

TheMallardMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Have they begun pipping yet? Don't forget to post pics!

9. Omellette

Oct 13, 2014
    Bc, Canada
    Hi! I pick up tomorrow morning! So excited. I'm going to be there before she opens I'm sure! Lots of pictures will be coming :)

10. TheMallardMan

TheMallardMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Great! I know the excitement you feel, my mallards are due to hatch this time next week :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by