Couple broody hatched chick questions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by porkchop48, Dec 11, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    If all goes well I should have some broody hatched chicks in the next 4-5 days.

My current waterers are 5 gal buckets with chicken nipples. Will the mama teach the chicks to drink from the nipples or should I provide an alternative source of water?

Can I just switch the whole flock to chick starter instead of having to try and make sure which group eats which? They do have free access to oyster shells, free range daily for about 12 hours and have scratch thrown out a couple times a day.

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I would get a chick waterer...only about 5 bucks. I always switch them all to chick starter, non-medicated for the laying hens.

3. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I do have a chick waterer now that you mention it. I was just not sure how to keep the rest of the flock from drinking it all.

Now to figure out where to put it.

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    It's best to keep mom & chicks in a separate area away from the others. Can you make a small space in a corner? I've used screens or even cardboard. Some chickens can get mean with the chicks, even kill them. Mom will do everything to protect them but it still can happen.

5. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:x2. I had to move my two broodies once the chicks started hatching. The top hen was reaching right under one of the mamas and pulled out a chick. I know she would have killed it if I wasn't there. Chick is fine by the way.

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    yes, get moma a separate area away from the other hens for a few days till the smell of moma has settled on those chicks and they can run well to moma when there is trouble. i've had trouble with jealous hens that try to steal chicks when they are hatching but instead drag them out of the shells just to kill them. [​IMG] separating also helps to keep the area just for moma and babies so they can have their own feed and water. just don't put any food into their space until about day 3 of the first chick hatching. always make sure there is some water for mom though. once you give them feed moma will want to show her chicks how to eat and may end up ignoring any more eggs that are still hatching. i've have chicks hatch one day at a time over a span of 6 days and once mom sees the food she will not wait for those other eggs unless she is VERY devoted to those other hatching chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by