Couple chicks are very lethargic...EDIT: 4 died...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Picked up 25 rare pullet chicks today from the PO we bought from Ideal. Most are doing great, but I have a couple that are very, very lethargic. I've put sav-a-chick in the water, and made them drink, but they are basically just sitting there. Anything I can do?

All 3 that are lethargic are from the same breed it appears. 1 just died [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you're doing well so far. Watch them and make sure they are drinking. If not, dip their beaks in the water a couple times a day to make sure they get some water. You can also cook some eggs (scramble or hard boiled) and chop it up and feed it to them.

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    On the flip side, I have some chicks with giant crops! I'm sure they've over eaten. Is that ok? I don't want to take the food away...

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They have only been eating chick starter, right? If so, they are fine, it will go down in the morning.

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Yeah, medicated starter...

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Then it's fine...........they're just little piggies.

7. seclusionfarms

seclusionfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl
    Not sure if this will help, I had some lathergic chicks when I got my first chicks from a breeder and even though it wasn't that cold outside,they were just cold and needed a heat source.Gook Luck [​IMG]

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    The hot spot seems to be right around 95, so I think it's warm enough. Hate losing chicks...

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Lost a second over night. 3rd is still very lethargic, and doesn't appear to be eating. I've dipped it's beak in sugar water a few times more. Also scrambled some egg and dipped it's beak in that too, hoping it would see it was food, but no go yet...

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Many people find that 95 degrees is way too hot, especially if they start piling on each other. I did. My chicks became lethargic, flopped down, and started cooking, too weak to move away from the heat. Try 90. Use thermometer. The idea that they all are able to move away from too much heat presumes a healthy active chick to begin with. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by