couple infertile/fertile egg questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kizanne, Dec 18, 2011.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    One I'm on day 15 and I candled with a better candler than I had before. This is my first time incubating.

I have 3 eggs that are clear. Never developed.

If I crack them can I still tell if they were fertile versus infertile and did not develop after shipping?

Two they don't stink, from the outside. If I crack them open can I cook them up and give them to my chickens?

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Yes to both questions. Unless the shell was compromised, they should not stink at all, you may want to cook them first just in case they grew some bacteria since they are in a perfect environment to do so. And yes, you will be able to tell if they are fertile. You will see the "Bulls-Eye" sign, and if they developed a day or two, it will be bigger than usual. I know there are photos on here that show everyday of development, just not sure where or how long ago those pics were.

3. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've got a photo reference. Thanks for the response.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other post. You can try and crack open the eggs and look for the bulls-eye. Sometimes after the eggs have been in the incubator for awhile and I take out the clear ones and break them open the yolks have broken so I couldn't tell.

5. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I had 3 clears. 2 had broken yolks one of those also had a blood spot, but that was there when it shipped. The third had a definate bullseye. So out of 16 shipped eggs it looks like 14 were fertile. That's not bad.

I don't know why the one didn't start but it didn't.

I now have 12 eggs in the bator but many are EE eggs and I can't see much other than there is an air sac at the top.

My light is bright enough I can see some into the maran eggs and a few look very promising. They all have air sacs so I probably won't candle again and just go into lockdown Wed. like I'm supposed to.

They also didn't stink so I cooked them up and gave them to my layers. I think the cooking would kill any bacteria that was in there but I didn't see anything in the egg that would indicate large amounts of bacteria.

This is my learning experience and I'm so glad I have you guys and girls to guide me!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by