Couple of chickens with a cold what do I do???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Aug 5, 2013.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I have 2 or 3 chickens that seem to have a cold what do I do.
    They have runny noses and keep sneezing.
    Does anyone know what could be wrong.
    Does this sound like just a cold.
    Should I do anything to treat them?
    I don't want to end up losing anyone and for this cold thing to spread further.
    So I really appreciate the help.

[​IMG]

Thank you sooooooo much for your help in advance.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens do not get colds; they get respiratory diseases. Your's definitely have a respiratory problem. If you have other chickens besides the sneezing ones, isolate the infected birds. Keep them in a cage or a crate, and make sure that they are warm enough, hydrated, and well-fed. Give them yogurt (for probiotics) and electrolytes, if you have them. If the disease is caused by a virus (such as Infectious Bronchitis), this is all you can do to help your birds.

However, the disease may also be caused by a bacteria, like Chronic Respiratory Disease. In case this is the problem, get Tylan50 or Tylan200. You could try Oxytetracycline, like Tetroxy HCA-280 instead, but this antibiotic is weaker. Tylan50 is less effective than Tylan200, but both of these antibiotics are good choices. If using Tylan50, give 1cc to large fowl, .5ccs to bantams, injected into the breast muscle for 5 days. For Tylan200, decrease the large fowl dose to .5ccs, and the bantam dosage to .1-.3ccs.

Hope this helps!

3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

What do you think about using VetRx to treat respiratory problems?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I have tried using VetRx before, and still use it. In my experience, it does not work, or at least makes a barely noticable difference. I'm sure some people have had success with it, but I have not. I do, however, give it to my sick birds anyway. It certainly doesn't harm them.

5. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Okay. Thanks! Sorry for briefly hijacking your thread dandydoodle!

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thats okay. You asking questions gets me more answers. Ask away. [​IMG]

7. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks guys I actually believe I might have some Tylan 50. So what causes this. Does it possibly mean I need to change the bedding more often or is this something that just happens with chickens? This is not the first time my roo has had this problem. I hatched him out but, I got the eggs from someone else. He and his brother have had this off and on since they were juvenilles. I gave him the Tylan 50 in the past but, he tends to keep this problem. I give them scratch that I have put honey and garlic on. I have heard this is a natural antibiotic. When I give it to him he seems to do better for a couple of days and then he is sneezing again. It has always just been him with the sniffles but, now one of my little girls is sniffling. I don't know if this helps but, people always say give more info, so I thought maybe if I gave more info it might help people figure out our problem. Is it possible that even when you hatch a bird out on your own if you got the eggs from someone else for them to come with respiratory problems?

Thanks again,
    Michelle

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Poultry respiratory diseases are many and very common. They also travel far and wide very easily, on the wind, on clothing and shoes, or just by birds being moved place to place of course. Some diseases can be passed on through the egg but many are simply in the flock and so any hatched chicks pick it up too. In your case you have carriers of whatever this is in your flock, so any new bird or chick is going to be exposed. Once a bird recovers it is still a carrier, capable of passing it along and will often have occasional outbreaks as well, especially in times of stress.

1 person likes this.
  9. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    K. For the longest time the only one with it was the roo that I hatched out from an egg that I got from someone else. Do you think he could have brought it with him and is a carrier? Is there anyway to get rid of it?

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    What are their chances? If your birds are having this problem what is usually the outcome? Are things not looking that good for my girls? [​IMG] I am giving them antibiotics but I am not feeling very optimistic. Please tell me what your experiences have been with this situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by