Couple of coop questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Klukkin Ken, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Klukkin Ken

Klukkin Ken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Almost finished with the coop and just need to add the roosts and nest boxes. I can get my hands on some milk crates. Would these be large enough to use for nest boxes? I have 6 hens. Should I get 6 boxes or would 4 work okay?
    Also, I see linoleum on the floors of some coops. I have a plastic floor, but was thinking linoleum would be real handy for the poop board under the roosts. Any problems with that? I would like to add a slide out board or drawer under the poop board that I can sweep the poo into and remove it so I can dump it into the compost bin. Any thoughts-suggestions much appreciated! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    [​IMG]
    That's beautiful!
    I would at this point, wrap the bottom with hardware cloth on top of that 2x4 or 1x3 wire you have. Racoons are surely going to be a problem if you don't. They can reach right through that and kill your birds.
    You don't need 1 nest box per bird. They will most likely only use 1 or 2 anyway, but 4 would be better to have.
    Yes, linoleum is fantastic! It's slippery to them so don't put it anywhere they need traction that isn't planned on being covered in litter, hay, straw, shavings etc. Slippery surfaces are hard on their feet and legs.
    and, where's your ventilation?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can get my hands on some milk crates. Would these be large enough to use for nest boxes? I have 6 hens. Should I get 6 boxes or would 4 work okay?

This thread might help answer your size question and give you ideas how to mount them. Should work well.

Nesting Boxes
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41108

With 6 hens, two is enough. If you have room, I always like having one more than enough just for the added flexibility.

Also, I see linoleum on the floors of some coops. I have a plastic floor, but was thinking linoleum would be real handy for the poop board under the roosts. Any problems with that?

No problems whatsoever. Many people highly recommend exactly that.

I would like to add a slide out board or drawer under the poop board that I can sweep the poo into and remove it so I can dump it into the compost bin.

Another great idea.

4. Klukkin Ken

Nov 22, 2010
    Thanks ParadiseFoundFarm. Thanks!
    Yes, I am planning on wrapping some hardware cloth around the perimeter and bury it a few inches as well. Never have seen any racoons in the neighborhood, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
    I replaced the plexiglass on the 8 windows with hardware cloth for protection and ventilation. I guess in the winter time, I can put the plexiglass back up as needed. There is also a vent on the front and rear wall of the shed. I have one of those attic vents I could install on the roof if it needs it, but it seems well ventilated now.
    I am so excited! My babies are 10 days old now.
    Here is a video if anyone wants to see them.

5. Klukkin Ken

Nov 22, 2010
    Mucho Gracias Ridgerunner [​IMG]

6. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    what a great coop... what kinda chickens are you putting in there?

7. Klukkin Ken

Nov 22, 2010
    Quote:Thank you. Just six girls right now...2 buff orpingtons, 2 barred rocks, and 2 americaunas

8. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Looks nice. I would just be careful about the temperature in the coop- I had one of those sheds and it got VERY hot in the summer- the roof really seems to hold the heat! Also with all the joints where it is put together it can get drafty in the winter from my experience.
    Good Luck [​IMG]

9. Klukkin Ken

Nov 22, 2010
    Quote:Great advice serenity. I need to stick a thermometer out there and see what the temps get inside. We have been at 102F for the past few days here and no relief in sight. Just from me working inside the coop, it seems much cooler, but I have some plywood on standby in case I need to line the inside. Winter shouldn't be much of a problem here in Texas. We may get a few days below freezing per year.
    Has anyone here ever used those pet misters on their chicken run? Not sure if that would be a good idea, but it sure would cool the air down some.

10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very neat set up, couple suggestions:

Skirt the run and cover the roof or close in to the roof (can't see any wire up there)

Hang a roost or two in the run, out of the walkway, for fresh air roosting. Just cut some branches a little long and hang them thru the wire openings

Run hardware cloth around the bottom of the run to stop reach thrus

Use a removable set of poop trays either in the roll out drawer or on the shelf so you can carry the tray to the compost pile and scrape or hose it off. Less poo handling

Only need 2 nest boxes, they will probably use only 1 of them (weird birds)

The plastic floor is fine but a litter will help with cleanup, nice thing is the poop trays will catch most of the mess.

Unless the doors are open 24/7, get some ventilation in there for heat, moisture, and ammonia fumes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by