Couple of different aged chickens and different breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunshine0235, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    This is the first I have a question about.
    I think it is a pullet. Its ten weeks old and is half silkie, one fourth d'uccle and one fourth serama. I was thinking it was a pullet because it has a lack of comb growth and no redness. Its full siblings that are older and male had combs by three weeks old. But its tail feathers kind of look roosterish to me and I think the saddle feather are a little male looking, so I wanted a second opinion before selling its three hatch mates which I know are pullets. I can only keep one of the chicks so I liked this, but if is a male then its getting sold.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next chick is about a week old, I purchased it from Rural King. I know it's a silkie. I was wondering if it would be bearded or not, or if you can even tell at this point.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another chick that I purchased from the store I thought it was a sebright when I was getting it, but I'm not sure now. I know that I did get another one that is a sebright, but this ones feathers are shaded different and it starting to get some plain black feather on the wings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for the last question I am trying to figure out the breed. I also got it from Rural King and it was in the assorted bantam bin. It has white feathers growing in, it is clean legged, straight comb, and pinkish-orange legs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    For the first one, I'd say it's a little rooster. The saddle feathers look a little too pointy to be sure he's a she. It's hard to tell with silkie mixes by the comb, I have a six month old black silkie x roo that still has a small dark comb.
    Second, I'd say no beard. :/ Or a really tiny one.
    Third, wait and see. It still looks like a Golden Seabright to me. Remember that the chick feather pattern usually a bit different than the adult one, esp. on the wings. And she's got the golden fluff on her face like she's supposed to, so I think you're good there. :)
    And lastly..is it a 'big' banty, or a little one? It kinda looks like my baby red laced white cornish bantams I had a while back. I'm just saying that because he looks like a hefty little thing. Besides that guess, maybe an Old English Game, if it's on the smaller side. This is probably another 'wait and see' unless someone else comes along with a better idea.
    Sorry I'm not more informative here. Cute chicks. [​IMG]

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Any other opinions?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cockerel
    no bearded and also looks to be non crested (are you sure it is a silkie?)
    single combed golden sebright or a golden laced oegb
    could be bantam leg horn or oegb

5. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    The first is a cockerel.

The second is a very common example of a poor quality (hatchery stock) Silkie. It is beardless, and may not have a crest as well.

The other two appear to have pea combs? The pictures isn't clear, and they are young so I'm not even going to guess what they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by