couple of fliers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CAdreaming, May 12, 2011.

1. CAdreaming

CAdreaming Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Cherokee County, GA
    My 4 chickens (a RIR, an EE, a GC & a B Rock) have a coop attached to a run (that is not covered). They have been in this for almost a month without an issue. Since my life has slowed down & I am home more, I have decided to allow them to free range. By 7pm they put themselves back in the run so I close the run with the plans to come out about an hour later after they have put themselves to bed.
    Tues. night I went out & all but my RIR (who was frantically pacing the run) were outside of the run. I noticed an area that I thought they might have wiggled out of so I closed it up & made sure all was snug for the next day.
    Wed. night, I was not going to be home until late so I placed them in the run at 6pm & left for the evening (leaving DH home with them). I got home at 11:30pm, walked in the door & asked my DH if he had closed the coop, his answer... no!! So I went out to close them up. I don't know what made me look but I did, I stuck in my head & only counted 2 chicks looking back at me!!! Both the GC & BR were gone!!!! I checked the roosts & the run (triple checked to make sure!!!) than started combing the backyard. Thankfully they have a favorite part of the yard & that was were I headed-quickly finding my GC who bolted as soons as I headed toward her (even thought I didn't see her!!) After 30mins of looking everywhere I could for my BR, I was ready to give up.
    I was so upset, figuring since the 2 weren't together that something must have gotten ahold of the BR. I hit at a bush in frustration ( a bush in their favorite place!!!) & heard feathers flap. I shook the bush again... nothing. Thought maybe it was just a wild bird I had startled & it had flown off. I was about to head into the house when my cat climbed the bush & started stalking a branch. After shining the flashlight over the branch 3 times (the military has nothing on camouflage compared to chickens!!!) I finally saw my BR roosting on the branch. Thankfully she was on a branch I was able to reach but now my question is... will this always be a problem now... even if I don't let them free range anymore? In a couple (hopefully) of months it won't be too much of an issue any more since they will be getting moved to a new run that will be taller & covered.

2. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    I just posted a lengthy reply on clipping wings with exact instructions on how we do it. I will go back and look at who was the original poster so you can find the post .

3. san415

May 7, 2009
    the other post is titled, clipping wings and the poster was happymom99. Forgot to say that the post is in this same area...managing your flock.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. CAdreaming

CAdreaming Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Cherokee County, GA
    Quote:Thank you!!!

5. san415

May 7, 2009
    CAdreaming there were still questions people had so I put several pictures of wings and where to clip and the different parts of a bird wing. So if your still feeling unsure, take a minute to check that post out again. I was real nervous the first time I clipped my parrot wings so I know how it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by