Couple of milk goat questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Meesh, May 10, 2008.

1. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Ok, I found a registered nubian doe, 2 years old, lost her first kid few weeks ago, and is still somewhat in milk.

Is it a common to lose the first kid? I don't know why yet, wanted to be there to ask the breeder in person. Is it a bad sign for future breeding? This person is trying to breed dwarf nubians, and I think is culling this doe from her breeding stock. Again, I don't know why yet - but I will ask.

Second - will she still give me some milk for a while? I thought about buying her as a learning milker project. She's not super expensive ($125) & has been hand milked.

Third - or could I put a bottle goat on her? There are some Saanens (which are about my favorite), but they are bottle babies at another place. It would be really nice if I could put a bottle kid on her. Will goats come back into milk if a kid is on them?

I am going to look at Dexters in a few minutes, and then perhaps goats tomorrow or Monday. [​IMG] Fun!

Thanks!!!!
    Michelle

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm too new to goats myself to answer your questions but I can certainly suggest that you also go to one of the great goat sites for help.

thegoatspot.net

goattalk.com

Good luck...

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    if she is still in milk there is no reason why you couldn't increase her milk by milking her twice a day. feed her really well. it's not uncommon for someone to sell something when they are changing their herd to something else. just get a good history on her and look her over really well. lately i've been hearing of people getting milk from their does well into past a year without breeding. the supply does drop off some but it is possible. i can't really tell ya much about the other stuff. a good place to go is http://fiascofarm.com/ there is a ton of info there about everything concerning goats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by