Couple of milk goat questions

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
Ok, I found a registered nubian doe, 2 years old, lost her first kid few weeks ago, and is still somewhat in milk.

Is it a common to lose the first kid? I don't know why yet, wanted to be there to ask the breeder in person. Is it a bad sign for future breeding? This person is trying to breed dwarf nubians, and I think is culling this doe from her breeding stock. Again, I don't know why yet - but I will ask.

Second - will she still give me some milk for a while? I thought about buying her as a learning milker project. She's not super expensive ($125) & has been hand milked.

Third - or could I put a bottle goat on her? There are some Saanens (which are about my favorite), but they are bottle babies at another place. It would be really nice if I could put a bottle kid on her. Will goats come back into milk if a kid is on them?

I am going to look at Dexters in a few minutes, and then perhaps goats tomorrow or Monday.
big_smile.png
Fun!

Thanks!!!!
Michelle

I'm too new to goats myself to answer your questions but I can certainly suggest that you also go to one of the great goat sites for help.

thegoatspot.net

goattalk.com

Good luck...

if she is still in milk there is no reason why you couldn't increase her milk by milking her twice a day. feed her really well. it's not uncommon for someone to sell something when they are changing their herd to something else. just get a good history on her and look her over really well. lately i've been hearing of people getting milk from their does well into past a year without breeding. the supply does drop off some but it is possible. i can't really tell ya much about the other stuff. a good place to go is http://fiascofarm.com/ there is a ton of info there about everything concerning goats.

Back
Top Bottom