1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

couple of pics of my white leghorn roo at 9 wks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RobinEgg, Jun 12, 2008.

1. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    at 9 wks he thinks he owns the flock and watches over the pullets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Wow, Leghorn roos get amazing combs! Its hard to believe he's 9 weeks.

3. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    WOW---that's nine weeks? That is a lot of roo for that age.

4. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    I ordered the fry pan special from MMM, actually it was a mistake I meant to order the heavy roo special, I wasn't paying attention I guess. Anyway we received 25 of these guys about half have these wonderful big red combs the others are quite a bit smaller. The roos with the big combs are the most assertive and this guy is the boss. They are really a nice group, kind of hate to eat them.

5. bantamgal

bantamgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    I love watching my little leghorn roos fighting with each other at that age (more like playing) They chase each other around and grab little tufts of feathers from another roos hackle and pull on them it is so cute,,,,I could watch it all day

6. bantamgal

Mar 2, 2008
    that is pics of two different roos the one in the second picture has a very nice comb they look like they are at least 3 months old if not older

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I was going to say they looked different... sometimes it is hard to tell when you have so many of the same bird. I do that all the time!

We had a few leghorn roos. They were too aggressive for the hens, though. They all became fryers. BUT they sure were good lookin' guys and they sure liked to pose for the camera ....

[​IMG]

8. bantamgal

Mar 2, 2008
    he has a lovely comb too,,,,and by the way,,,,did you chang e the picture in your avatar to a more smiley one? [​IMG]

9. Mattake2

Mattake2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    That's a beautiful bird!

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Why yes, bantamgal, I did change my avatar pic. I have lost 115 lbs. since the last pic was taken, so I felt it was time to update. Also probably why I'm smiling so big [​IMG]

I love the combs on leghorns. They can grow to be REALLY big (just look at the one on my blog/website for comparison).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by