Couple of questions about Pekins...

Jill102

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 23, 2009
Hello again! I have a couple more questions for you, if you don't mind.

1) How will I know if/when my ducks need their nails clipped?
2) If the nibble on grass seed, is that okay?

MANY thanks!

If you keep your ducks outdoors you shouldn't ever have to trim their nails, unless they are caged and up on wire.
Grass seed is perfectly fine for them.

Hi!

The nails are easy (I'm assuming the nails are the light color?) , just like dogs and cats. You can cut them, just as long as you don't cut too short or cut the quick. If you cut the quick, they will start bleeding. We cut our ducks' nails about every month. We also have 2 Cayugas, which have the dark nails, so the quick is very hard to find. I usually just cut the tip off or file them down.

Seeds are a no no for ducks, as it can cause digestion problems. Let the grass grow and let them eat the grass! Ducks also like to eat weeds, fruits and veggies!

Seeds are a no no for ducks, as it can cause digestion problems. Let the grass grow and let them eat the grass! Ducks also like to eat weeds, fruits and veggies!

Could you expand upon that theory? I have 14 ducks that eat game bird pellets, whole wheat, black oil sunflower and white millet, cracked corn, and sorghum every day of their lives.
They free range and eat a variety of wild seeds and grasses.
What are these "digestion problems" that you speak of?​

Seeds are a no no for ducks, as it can cause digestion problems.

I have heard this before too but it makes no sense since wild mallards eat seeds all the time.​

Thanks for this info! They are not cooped up in cages, thankfully! They have a daytime enclosure (I'm worried about predators) with grass, a pond and an eating area, along with an attached house, which they are secured in at night. I'll keep an eye on their nails to make sure they're not getting too long - have to say I would be nervous to clip them!
smile.png
About the grass seed... I should clarify, they're not FED grass seed. They are fed waterfowl food but we occasionally sprinkle seed down in the existing grassy area to avoid a muddy mess. Generally they ignore it but today I noticed they were picking at it - or possibly around it to get to the dirt - and I started to worry it might be bad for them. I really appreciate your input! We have only had ducks for about six weeks so these random questions are still popping up.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom