Couple of questions... the chicks are coming soon!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by itsmatt, Mar 30, 2008.

1. itsmatt

itsmatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Hello all,

Well, I went in with 5-6 other folks on a chick order and they are supposed to show up soon - maybe this week. With that, I'm trying make sure I'm ready for them. I'm getting 5 chicks - three orpingtons and 2 australorps and I have a feeder and a plastic waterer and a brooder light - I'm going to get the red bulbs for it this week.

Going to pick up the pine shavings, a thermometer and some feed too.

My two questions (at least for now) are:

1. I've got a 100-gallon rubbermaid trough that we aren't using in the fields anymore. It is pretty large. Was considering using this for the chicks initially. Thoughts on this? I thought it might make a convenient place to keep them until they are bigger and/or can live outside.

2. We'll probably go to Tractor Supply to get the supplies. They carry, evidently, NutriSource
    "Chick Grit Feed" and Dumor "20% Starter/Grower Chick Feed" - at least according to the website. Haven't made it to the store yet. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I'd grab extra feeder/waterer incase you need to set up a hospital brooder for sick/injured or weak chick/s...as a just in case.

Also an extra lamp/bulbs or two as a just incase, also. [​IMG]

Learned the above first hand last May with my first day olds.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Sounds like a good start! Dawn has a good point too. Even cardboard box will work as an emergency care unit. Good luck, have fun and post pictures!!
    [​IMG]

4. itsmatt

itsmatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Quote:Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you had a second lamp as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by