couple of questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by atr04screw, Sep 12, 2011.

1. atr04screw

atr04screw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I have 3 BR hens, a blue cochin hen, and a BR rooster, all around 3 1/2 months old, and I have a couple of questions.

1. My rooster started crowing about 3 weeks ago, and he sounded great when he first started. But, he loves to crow and he crows atleast 20+ times an hour. Is this normal, or is this something that he just likes when he first learns to crow and he will calm down eventually? Also, his crow has gotten worse in the past week, almost like he has a hoarse voice, is this possible?

2. In the bottom of the coop, they have eaten all of the grass and it has turned into dirt. They don't have a run with grass right now (working on it), so they have had to stay in the coop. They spend most of the time downstairs in the little dirt section because it has their food and water. When they poo, it seems like it just gets stepped on and become part of the dirt. Do I need to rake the top layer of dirt out whenever I clean the coop to make it fresh? And also, can this hurt the chickens if they are walking in a little bit of poo?

Thanks in advance!

2. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Until you get a proper run build, I'd put pine shavings down on the ground to absorb the poop and give them something to scratch around in. And then you can rake out the shavings and replace with fresh when they get too dirty. I'd also throw grass clippings in there and/or weeds if you weed your garden to give them something to scratch through/eat.

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    On #2 about the grass. Don't keep them penned up in the coop trying to grow grass they will just rip it up and kill it again in less than 2 weeks. If you want grass put in a salad bar area. Search for the post that covers this completely but it is a simple 2x4 or 2x frame with chicken wire on the top so they can eat the tops but not the roots. It is the scratching that kills the plants and it is part of their nature. I certainly wouldn't do your whole run like that cause the wire would hurt their feet all day but you can have areas like that to grow them grass. There is also posts with info on growing other things using cages to keep them out of the base area and let the plant grow up and out and produce you something like winter squash.

Hope I read your post right, if not ignore me. [​IMG]

4. atr04screw

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm not trying to grow any grass in there, its kind of just a temporary place for them to run around until I get them a true run built. I give them scratch (cracked corn and sunflower seeds) every day and keep feed for them to eat. I also try giving them watermelon and cantelope from the garden every few days.

5. atr04screw

Jun 14, 2011
    Anyone know about the rooster? Do they just like to crow alot when they first start or will he always be like this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by