Couple of ?'s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FeatherD.Friend, Jun 20, 2010.

1. FeatherD.Friend

FeatherD.Friend Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Abilene Tx
    Ok Im thinking about bringing in some chicks to raise up till laying age, then selling them off.

1st ?. good amount of space to raise 25 chicks...
    2nd ?. how much feed would 25 chicks go through in a six month period?

Thanks Guys

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Depends On The Breed, Size, Why Don't You Want Them When They Start To Lay? Parting Can Be Hard. 25 Birds Can Go Through 50lbs In 2 Weeks But If They Free Range They Eat A Lot Less, Once They Get Old Enough To Free Range.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Oh boy, that does depend on what kind you get? will you be substituting anything else besides the starter/grower, and how much if you do....on avg. like the answer before me, I normally go through about a 50lb bag about once every three weeks for 10 birds and in the cochin house a 5o lb bag will last about a month, but I only have 7 in that house.

4. FeatherD.Friend

FeatherD.Friend Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Abilene Tx
    I am thinking of RIR's, I will be also feed them greens and produce from our garden, as well as scratch.

Reason, is I already have my hens that lay, and I would like to be able sell off enough so that I am breaking even not in the deficeit, and here in this area people are hungry for chickens, not only to eat but for egg production, yet none of them want to try to raise one from a chick, so here is my plan I can get the chicks for 90 cents apeice and put 6 months in and then sell them for 10-15 apeice around here.
    just a thought?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by