Couple pictures of my ducktweens!

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
They are three weeks old now.
This first one shows my Doodle- he is a muscovy/runner cross. ...looks like a snake-duck!
You can see Tyra-formerly known as Tyrone, the black east indie duck in the background. She just started learning how to quack. I also figured out that she cannot walk. She hobbles. Always before when she was littler, she was the little bully- quick to run and grab at your hand, chicks, etc. Then she started not running- and just sort of hopping- and now she hobbles, and peeps alot to be picked up and moved around. Today I got a real good look at her problem. Her left foot turns in so that when she stands up, her foot is curled inward. Slipped tendon at her knee?

9221_doodleduckondeck.jpg

9221_tyradeck.jpg

9221_doodleandtyra.jpg

and check out those feet!!
9221_bigfootdoodle.jpg

Last edited:
They are gorgeous. Tyra reminds me of my darling little Regie- she was a Black Runner that hatched with a slipped tendon and dislocated leg. She was such an adorable girl - and now greatly missed. Can you get a photo of her standing up or of the hocks? It can be a little hard to see with black skinned ducks- but still worth a look.

She doesnt really ever stand up but I will have one of my kids hold her up and I can get a picture that way. Give me a few minutes.

here they are- not the best pictures, but she was trying hard to get down...lol.

Its her left leg- see how it goes more sideways? And when she tries to stand, the foot just curls in as if it were laying on the outer toe. if you can imagine us humans when we sit in a chair and lay our foot on its pinkytoe side.

9221_tyralegs2.jpg

9221_tyralegs1.jpg

Last edited:
Its kind of hard to see - as expected with the black skin- but if the tendon has slipped you will notice it more from the back of the joint. In the photo it does kind of look like the tendon may have slipped to the inner side of the joint. i will try and draw up a diagram or search through my photos tonight for you to give a better idea of what it can look like.

I am still looking for the photo I have of a slipped tendon- but I do have a great pic of a normal one. You can clearly see the tendon run down the leg- especially well right over the middle of the hock. If it has slipped - it can easily be seen to one side- and the hock joint is seen very clearly without the tendon in the way.
sad.png
to say it in this way...but think of last time you had saw a cooked chicken- and what the ends of the drumsticks look like,. You can clearly see the definition of the two bones ends if the tendon has slipped.

46956_normal_tendon.jpg

there is nothing that can be done?
I will look at her leg when I pick them up. They are currently in the dog bed in the bathroom- heh heh heh...They now hate being in their cage.
I had them outside for a bit yesterday, and my DRAKE wants to kill them. Of course, I do not let him get near them- but he sure tries to get past the fence and gate to them...hissing up a storm.

edit:

I just put her away and was able to actually feel her joint- and the ends are side by side instead of together. Do you think there is anything to be done? I will keep her crippled forever- but it would be nice if she could walk again with her buddy.

edit-
I asked my boss yesterday if there is anything that can be done about a slipped tendon. She said we could try hobbling her- but I dont think that will help, wouldnt that be worse?
I wondered about taping her leg once the tendon was put back in place.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom