couple questions about coop materials ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thekla, Apr 18, 2009.

1. thekla

thekla Chillin' With My Peeps

OK - here are 2 ideas I have for my in-process coop and was wondering what anyone thinks. First I was thinking that I might use a couples sets of recycled sliding closet doors on one side of my coop (inside the run and under a projecting roof) so that on nice days I could slide them open and air out the coop and make coop cleaning easier (still use a bedding catcher - but make it removable for cleaning) would that work? and the other idea was for venting, since it doesn't get very cold here and the windows I am using don't open I plan to add venting sections up between/above the windows and am considering another recycled item, again a closet door thing but the ones with the narrow, angled wooden slats - they mostly are narrow 14-16" wide and pretty long and thought I'd mount them horizontally above the really large windows... and possibly between some too, would this work? (we have a great recycled building source here in the Eugene area and they have lots of these available pretty inexpensively. any thoughts out there?

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    it sounds ok. the sliders would fine if you can insure against snakes and rats. don't skimp on the ventilation whatever you do. one thing to consider is that is a bit less trouble to go back and add ventilation than to go overboard and have to tighten things up unless you incorporate that aspect into your design. consider your ridge first as a source of exaust ventilation. it's natural for heat to rise and the ridge vent is an easy method. keep your vents designed so that they don't directly effect the birds as far as drafts go.

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:Chances are they will still warp. This assumes that you mean they are slab doors (thin 1/8th inch ply and a hollow center). A coat of exterior grade paint may prolong their life however.

Quote:These will be fine since they are thicker solid wood. Again, paint them.. But basically you're using the same thing I plan on using as a cupola on top of my coop. It will be subjected to all the elements, but so long as it's painted well should be fine.

Quote:Lucky you... We don't have squat in the area as far as reuse goes. Just stuff I had on hand, or that was left here when we moved. Which reminds me, I have wood in the basement I need to pull out and make use of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by