1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Couple questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bradrenea, Jan 18, 2009.

1. bradrenea

bradrenea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    Branson Missouri
    I am in the middle of hatching my first batch of eggs. I have a Little Giant with the fan and auto turner. The instructions said to raise the humidity to 80% at day 18 when the turner is removed. How do I get it that high? Right now I have water in all of the water passages and the humidity is staying right around 50%. How can I get it higher when I need too? Do I need to ad a couple trays along with the passages that are already there?

Also, when I take the turner out, do I just lay the eggs in there however they may lay, or do I need to put them in an egg carton to make them stand up?

Thanks in advance,
    Brad

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Let the eggs lay on their side. You can put a small bowl of water in the bator or maybe you are getting a false humidity on your hydrometer.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

Yes, you can lay the eggs on there side to hatch or use the carton method (for more info on this use the search above to search "egg carton method")

80% is way to high to up the hum to, you should up it to about 60%-65% on day 18. Are all the water trays filled ?? You can use a few wet (new) sponges, socks to get the hum up !!!

Good luck !!

4. bradrenea

Sep 19, 2008
    Branson Missouri
    Yes, all of the built in trays are full. So I don't need to go to 80%?

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Nope, 80% is WAY to high.... 60%-65% is good !!!

6. bradrenea

Sep 19, 2008
    Branson Missouri
    OK, thanks for the info!!

7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Should have little plugs that go into to holes on the lid, plug one hole. That will also raise the humidity...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sponges in the water trays raises the humidity in our homemade incubator. We had all the trays full of water and the humidity wouldn't go up. We tried lots of things; removing plugs didn't fix it in our bator. It was staying between 20% and 30% or even lower. Once we put a sponge or two in it increased the surface area enough to make a difference. Found the suggestion here on BYC. Thanks everyone. We're on day 7.

For ours, 1 sponge= 40%-45%, 2 sponges = 55-65%

Good luck!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    In my experience wet paper towels up the humidity much better than sponges do.

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Great to know- about the paper towels. I will definately use it for the last 3 days of my incubation. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by