1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

couple questions....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmferrante, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cmferrante

cmferrante Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    The place I get my chickens from frequently throw in an extra or 2..along with the "bonus chicken"...which is always something from their "rare" listing. This last time around I got 10 pullets of buff orpington, 10 pullets Araucana, and 15 straight run buff brahma.

so far, one buff orpington was a roo...I kept him he's beautiful and keeps the ladies well. 5 or so of the buff brahma have turned out to be roos...i threw one in with my older girls they had no rooster and he's doing ok over there. the other 4 were so mean they had to be culled. So, as for free chickens....who can resist a free chicken?

This bird is supposed to be a dark brahma. I think its a roo...not sure...[​IMG][​IMG]

This second bird i'm pretty sure is also a roo...the feathers around the neck sit funny...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thoughts?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Those are both ladies. They have colors that males genetically can't have. Grats!

3. cmferrante

cmferrante Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    no kidding...what colors do these birds have that males genetically could not? The other males i've seen so far are so far different then their female counterpart there is no mistaking. However, with the "free bird" you usually have no other of it's kind to compare it to.

4. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    I agree they both look like ladies as well. The first one has feather marking of a silver penciled. The second one looks a lot my Easter Eggers, lay nice blue eggs [​IMG] They are both lovely!!

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Here is the coloring that male Dark Brahmas have: http://tinyhousefarmers.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/brahma_bantam_dark_m_600.gif It's night and day different than the patterns on your female. Male Brahmas genetically can't have the pattern she does. Maybe with several thousand generations of tinkering (turn them hen-feathered), but not with how the breed stands now. The second bird is an EE, and you run into the same issue. If she was male, she would not have an even body pattern, but rather big flags and slashes of colors on her back and wings.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Both pullets :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree those are both females, a dark brahma and an Easter egger (what you ordered as Aracauna) .

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yep, a dark Brahma and an Easter Egger. Both pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by