Couple quick questions - care and feeding of 11 week old pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shopchicks, May 20, 2010.

1. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi all, my chick order did not go through as planned, so I am getting some 11-week old pullets locally, and just wanted to ask a couple questions to make sure I'm equipped before I pick up the new girls, as I was all set for tiny peeps, not wild teenagers [​IMG] .

I bought chick grit, but it's unopened - should I use this, or exchange it for regular grit? At what age do they switch, or is it really critical to switch to regular grit?

I have a 50# bag of Purina Flock Raiser - it sounds like this feed is pretty much fine for any age of bird, as long as calcium is supplemented once they start laying, but I wanted to double check.

Should they start getting scratch at this age? Should I purchase the bag specifically labeled "scratch grains" or is there something better? I already have flax seed and whole oats on hand for my horse. I plan to add flax to the scratch, but don't know how much - can I also give them whole oats?

Also, this is the wrong forum, but I'll ask anyway: My roost is up at about 3'. Should I build a ramp or ladder up to it, and/or put in a lower temporary roost?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Congrats on getting your babies!!

I think the grit you have will be fine. Flock rasier is perfect for them. I feed mine "scratch grains" and their 8-13 weeks old!! Not sure about the flax seed & oats. Maybe someone else can help you out there. Not sure about the roost cause mines made like a ladder but I would think yes! Mine start at the bottom and work their way up to where they wanna be!!

Missi

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. shopchicks

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Thank you, I will put a temporary starter roost in there and get them some scratch when I return the chick feeder and brooder lamp. Glad I still had the receipt!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Flax seeds and whole oats are fine, your pullets will love'em!

5. shopchicks

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Can anyone tell me how much flax to give? I know horses are limited to 6 ounces per day, so I imagine there's a safe limit for chickens, too.

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  7. shopchicks

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by