Course sand in winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rararanch, Mar 11, 2018.

1. rararanch

rararanch In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    Hi

I'm in the process of redesigning my coop. I'm bringing it into a section of our a utility shed. I'm trying to stay away from timber and make it as ideal to minimise pest/bacteria/viruses without jeopardising the mental welfare of my flock. Our region is built on pumice which is well draining, but probably to fine to use as flooring in the chicken coop. I currently use untreated wood shavings and I change it out weekly as I get it free. Research has told me that course,construction grade sand is a very clean media to use with poultry. My area gets frost in the mornings during autumn and winter and probably snows once a year. Would sand be too cold for the coop during these colder months? What suggestions do you have?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I'm in Middle Georgia - so not sure if our weather is the same.

We also get frost/freezes in the fall, winter and early spring. This year we had 13 F and light snow. I use sand in my covered all in one coop/run and in the nest boxes and have had no problems with it. I do buy construction grade sand from a local landscaping company.

3. rararanch

rararanch In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    Thanks. Did you have the sand directly over your soil or did you have something insulating from the normal ground temperature?

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    We just added sand on top of the existing soil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: