1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Cousin It

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crystal1957, Jul 25, 2010.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Hello everyone--I have a 'Cousin It', or so we think... Bought a New Hampshire Red pullet at the feed store a year and a half ago. It has never crowed, mated, or given us any eggs. The comb and wattles are deep red and very large. The vent is moist, deep pink, about 2 fingers in width.

All the other hens and the Rhode Island Red rooster ignore 'it', but do not hurt 'it'. It sleeps alone and is never invited to roost on the perches...

Each morning it runs to me when I call 'Cousin It'--then squats low. I shake it gently on the back and tap it on the vent, and then it shakes and fluffs like it has mated!!! We all laugh every day with this... It is so funny.

Last year when I showed at the County Fair I brought Cousin It just for fun. The folks there believed it is both male and female. Could this be true, or does it have a blocked oviduct or something else?

I don't have the money to have a vet make an assessment. Any thoughts?

I am pretty attached to Cousin It and don't want to cull it.

Looking forward to some responses. How common is this with chickens?

Thanks.

2. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Songster

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    I suppose a hermaphrodite chicken is possible. Why would you want to cull Cousin It, seems like you are fond of It. Let It earn It's keep by eating garden bugs and making compost. [​IMG]

Btw... can you post pictures? I'd love to see It!

3. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Got a photo of.. IT?

4. crystal1957

crystal1957 Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Help--Don't know how to upload the picture

5. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Click on "uploads" on the top of the page next to "Recent Posts". Upload a picture file from your computer, click upload, and then copy one of the links into the post.

6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
  7. crystal1957

crystal1957 Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of Cousin It (I think). Thanks for all the upload advice.

8. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    it looks like a hen.

9. crystal1957

crystal1957 Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Looks like the picture took that I just posted. hurray. And thanks to all those great folks who posted some help for me.

Cousin It is so much bigger than everyone else, about rooster size. Vent is pink, moist, 2 fingers width... Doesn't crow, lay eggs, and doesn't mate with females or with roosters.

10. crystal1957

crystal1957 Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Does anyone know why it doesn't ever lay eggs? Sometimes if I am picking up another hen, it will 'flog' me like a rooster. Do you think there is something wrong with it inside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by