cover/lid over brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueheaven, Apr 26, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    when will i need to put a cover/lid over my brooder?
    the walls are about 2 ft high. they are starting to 'fly' a bit.

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I'm new to hatching but I suppose sooner rather then later! You want to avoid accidents so as long as there is plenty of ventilation I would put a lid on!

3. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    I have a kitty cat so mine are always covered with strong wire mesh. I make a lid out of the wire so its nice and secure.
    I agree with the above post...if they're flapping, its best to cover them before you come back to a face-full of flying fluffs [​IMG]

4. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    We made a top for the large cardboard brooder box out of some hardware cloth (I put duct tape around the edges--that stuff scratches!). The piece of hardward cloth is bigger than the box, so I just lay it over the top of the box to keep the chicks from possibly flying out.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    btw any old window screen works great, and if you put your brooder light right on top of it that will hold it down.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Because I have dogs and cats in the house, I covered my stock tank with hardware cloth that I cut a little bigger then bent the edges all around to make a lid. It served to help keep the heat lamps from falling in the tank as well.

When the chicks got to the age they could fly out, I put a couple of 2 x 6's on the top of the tank so they could fly up to roost on them to get snacks and visit while I was changing water, feed, etc twice a day.

7. RIgirl

RIgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    So mine learned to fly somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks of age. One flew from DH's shoulder to my lap last night [​IMG]

I'd go ahead and cover that brooder because pretty soon they'll figure it out. I just use a lace curtain, lets the light through but prevents flight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by