Cover my Run ????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dingleberry, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    here is my run area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is fenced off. As for preditors. Just Dogs for now. mine [​IMG]
    They are in their coop at night. I am home most of the time.
    [​IMG]
    The run is on the other side of the bushes. I don't have it fenced in yet but it will be fenced along this bush line
    [​IMG]

2. Dingleberry

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    anyone??

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    It's best, but sometimes impossible. If you lock them up at night then you'll protect them from most predators and in the trees like that most hawks will be kept off. Most, not all. Small hawks and hungry large hawks will swoop down from trees and contrary to popular beliefe owls will hunt during the day if they are hungry or have growing babies to feed.

My runs are in the open and I've had several hawk attacks foiled by my netting. I've also seen several owls sitting on my coop roof obviously searching for openings in the netting. So far so good, I haven't lost anyone even when they are free ranging.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Bird netting is inexpensive and a good first line defense in the absence of other coverings. It's good for fairly large runs, too. Comes in rolls, 14 ft wide and 75 feet long. I zip tie it to the next panel, and in various places, even under trees and to fences. Then I use a six foot plastic garden stake in the middle areas to hold it up where it sags across distance. It won't keep a coon out, but it will slow down an aerial attack.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    yup, cover it with as solid a cover as you can as well as very sturdy side wire with small spaced mesh like harware cloth ( chicken wire will only keep chickens in, not predators out)! don't forget to install wire underground by at least a foot or skirts to prevent digger types from going under the wire pen or house. there will be predation not only from your dogs, but also other dogs, racoons, posums, weasels, bobcats, cougars, bears, etc., not to mention air attacks by eagles, hawks, owls, ravens, crows, etc.. Also many more that want to eat the feed and drink the water.

6. Dingleberry

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    ty for your answers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by