"Cover Your Mouth" PLEASE - Do You Have To Tell People To Do This?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How do you tell your co-workers to cover their mouth when they cough - in a nice and polite way without offending them? There are about 5 people that I work with that walk down the hall and they DO NOT cover their mouth when they cough? And they also do not cover their nose when they sneeze. C'MON PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm not sure why they think that other people want to inhale their germs and get their kudies.

How can you not cover your mouth when you cough? [​IMG] I don't get it. [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm with you! Only kids should be reminded, not full grown adults! [​IMG]

If you have something in your hand, sneeze into your arm at least. Nothing like getting coated with a fresh layer of snot in the morning. [​IMG]

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I once accidentally coughed in the kitchen and didn’t cover my mouth, just came on so fast. Somebody said something and I explained to them that I had just yesterday cleaned the chicken coop and it was really dusty and I didn’t have kudies, I had hairballs. They understood. I do get where you are coming from though [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOL @ fresh layer of snot in the morning. [​IMG] Ewwwwwwwwwww [​IMG]

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I cover mine every time. Even if it's just a "clearing my throat" kind of cough.
    At my office, there are only 4 of us (with a few more in and out). We all have weak immune systems LoL 3 of us have severe allergies and catch EVERTHING.
    But we still tell each other (half jokingly) that we don't want each other's cooties so keep em away, while using the universal sign of "get away from me."
    [​IMG]

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    adults should know this... this is NOT a new practice... and I consider that rude... I can be offensive [​IMG]

so when this happens I will tell them in a LOUD voice if I know the person or not... Gee thanks.. I needed a layer of your snot today... and I am not polite about it...

In the environment I work in we have at any point in time any number of people that have respiratory MRSA... not fun... there are many more people in the community who have this and dont even know... until they become VERY symptomatic

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Good thing I only work with my mom. I have NO problems telling her to keep her hands off my things during flu season [​IMG]

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I know it can involve you, but not everyone was raised the same. We should probably mind our own business and not try to tell other people what to do.

Note: I feel people should cover their mouth when they cough, but their are ways you can avoid it. I would just wear a mask to work and if they ask why your wearing it tell them you don't like to be coughed on.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    "Into the arm! I don't want to die from your carelessness!"

Since we all know that even a simple cold or flu can sometimes kill I say to heck with being polite.

My kid ended up in the hospital after developing pneumonia following a flu exposure. All because someone was to lazy to prevent the spread of their infection.

If it makes you feel better talk to HR about passing out fliers from the cdc.Simple ways to stop the spread of infection.Put them in the mail boxes,post in the lounge,bathroom,and so on.

10. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Sneezing or coughing into your arm at the inside elbow point, is the safest method. Got this from my neighbor who is an RN. Says if you do it into your hand, you contaminate things you handle after that. The hospital has signs all over the place about how to do this.

Made sense to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by