covered coop for sun?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silkielover5, Oct 2, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    so i baught a trio of super white cochin bantams and im scared their going to turn yellow from the sun like my egyption fayoumi did who would otherwise do really good at shows. i was told to keep them inside but id feel kind of sad about that. so ive been thinking about making a little coop run thing with something like a wooden top to keep out the sun. does anyone have something like this or have any advice.

2. Mama duck 8

Mama duck 8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    It is a fact that chickens cant have 100 percent sun everyday, so you should at least have something they can go under to hide from the sun and get some shade.. Goooooood luck

3. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:see my egyption has a huge tree in his coop that he and the others perch in and judges always love him they say his only flaw is being yellow, and that when he molts he'll turn white again. but for 2 years he's been yellow, ive tried whitening shampoo and bleach. so i just dont want to go through that with these guys.

4. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:see my egyption has a huge tree in his coop that he and the others perch in and judges always love him they say his only flaw is being yellow, and that when he molts he'll turn white again. but for 2 years he's been yellow, ive tried whitening shampoo and bleach. so i just dont want to go through that with these guys.

What I have noticed....I live in sunny AZ and I have one Delaware besides other breeds. The girls have shade but my Del was turning yellow. I had changed brands of food and that is when she started turning yellow. I went back to my Manna Pro and the yellow is fading and she is almost back to white again!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:IMO I think it's the feed and not the sun.
    Chickens can't assimilate carotene so anything that contains it will tend to yellow them. Corn, carrots, greens.
    That's why free range chickens have orange yolks.

6. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:IMO I think it's the feed and not the sun.
    Chickens can't assimilate carotene so anything that contains it will tend to yellow them. Corn, carrots, greens.
    That's why free range chickens have orange yolks.

i thought that to but our feed doesnt contain corn. we usally will switch between 2 feeds depending if we have time to drive further to pick up the feed we prefer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by