Covered litterbox as a nesting box?

Yep I've been using them for years. They are actually the only nestbox I provide...

They are extremely useful for moving a broody hen- just lift whole thing and move to isolate her and nest away from all other hens.

easy to clean.

one con is lately the new litterboxes are coming in thinner weaker plastic material so they don't last very long especially with direct sunlight exposure. Need to get the giant ones for especially large/heavy hens(freedom rangers-8-11 lb hens...) or just plain awkward hens(like shamo- they cannot turn easily in smaller confines)

Yep I've been using them for years. They are actually the only nestbox I provide...

They are extremely useful for moving a broody hen- just lift whole thing and move to isolate her and nest away from all other hens.

easy to clean.

one con is lately the new litterboxes are coming in thinner weaker plastic material so they don't last very long especially with direct sunlight exposure. Need to get the giant ones for especially large/heavy hens(freedom rangers-8-11 lb hens...) or just plain awkward hens(like shamo- they cannot turn easily in smaller confines)

How long did it take your hens to learn to use them? I'm transitioning mine from free range to cooped for their safety since we had a sudden boom in the Red Wolf population due to development on the other side of the hill we live near.

Immediately. even pullets that never saw any nest box went straight into them.

My chickens also used to be truly free range- sleeping in trees etc. They used the cat boxes both free range or temporarily penned for breeding purposes. you can put them on ground or off ground..

was already in my gallery, here's a picture of a hen and just hatched chicks in a covered cat litter box.

Last edited:
Strongly preferred by my hens. They're wonderful - easy to take out to clean, to move if you rearrange the coop, and to move to another pen or site if you move your chickens around or bring in new ones, etc.

That is all I use, I like the ability to easily move them when cleaning and most import the ability to easily take them out and power wash them when they get dirty...

I use the 'Van Ness brand large enclosed cat litter pan' with the door flap removed... Around me this brand litter box can be found at Walmart and Mendards for about $13 each and I have no complaints...

Last edited:
Immediately. even pullets that never saw any nest box went straight into them.

My chickens also used to be truly free range- sleeping in trees etc. They used the cat boxes both free range or temporarily penned for breeding purposes. you can put them on ground or off ground..

was already in my gallery, here's a picture of a hen and just hatched chicks in a covered cat litter box.

I love your Turken hen!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom