Covered "patio" for my hen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 23, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    It has been so hot here and my girls have a limited amount of shade as we live out on the prairie. Tonight my husband built them an 8'x8' covered patio onto the front of their coop. This should keep the sun from just beating down on the face of the coop and it will provide them a nice big shady area. The only thing left to do tomorrow is put the asphalt roofing on top. They will love it, they were all about helping us tonight and demanded that we add a perch across the front. I will post some pictures when I have the coop repainted...hopefully starting that in the morning when it is cool. So now I am showing my husband some automatic doors. [​IMG]

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    You can always freeze bottles and put some around under the shade cover too. They help A LOT! here in CA. I can't wait to see photos!

3. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    It's best to use white shingles that reflect the heat. But you probably already knew that.

Great idea to build a patio. I'm sure the girls will love it.

4. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    We are using white, and I have been putting ice bottles in the coop...it has still been way up over 115 degrees in there during the middle of the day...hoping this will help cool it a bit. Stay tuned for pictures. [​IMG]

5. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    115° is HOT. Make sure you start early. 8x8 shouldnt take long. Really like the patio idea.

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    [​IMG]

7. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    DH had built a patio cover for the girls. They love being in the shade and take many a dust bath there.
    Also turned the top half into the integrating coop. Keeps the new ones off my patio.

(before the mini coop remodel)
    [​IMG]

(after with the inspectors in it-prior to the new girls joining. They have a sandbox and roost for outdoor activity))
    [​IMG]

8. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    That is really nice! I like it a lot. I am sure your chickens appreciate the cheerful mural that brightens up their space. [​IMG]

9. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Thank you and I think they do. I sure do as that wall was pretty bland to look at prior to painting. DH painted the daisies. [​IMG]

10. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Thank you and I think they do. I sure do as that wall was pretty bland to look at prior to painting. DH painted the daisies. [​IMG]

Our Cluck On Inn
    [​IMG]

view from the Lil Chick Inn
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by