Covered run in Portland area

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dahlia333, May 11, 2010.

1. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    Hi,

We are planning on using hardware cloth for our run, but I'm wondering if I need to have a roof on it as well? We are new to Portland and with all the rain I'm afraid the run will be too wet. The run will be partly under the coop but is this enough outside coverage from rain? I'd like them to get as much sun as possible, so I hate to cover everything up, but maybe I need to??

Thanks all!
    Dawn

2. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    I would recommend it... I've heard that chickens can get sick when wet. Plus- the full roof would keep away any pesky predators.
    I think they would still get sunlight even with the roof.

3. pokeytolman

pokeytolman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    Milwaukie, Or
    We are from the Portland area as well. I covered our run with clear suntuff. Cover and sun at the same time

4. Frza

Frza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Portland
    We're in Portland too. I went with the clear corrugated plastic stuff for the roof. I figure it will keep the rain out but let light in. It will be partially shaded in the summer so hopefully won't get too hot. I also have a roll of plastic drop cloth stuff that painters use. I wrap the bottom 16" of the run with the plastic during heavy rain. That is in an effort to keep the run's floor dry without blocking the light. My boyfriend thinks it looks super tacky but I think the bird's comfort is much important than looks [​IMG]

5. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    I am in Mac, have pat of the run covered, part open. It is a hoop run, covered with a silver tarp, so we can pull the tarp back when it gets nice, but then, they like that tarp for shade too.

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have a roof, too. We certainly don't get the rain that you do, but it does a great job at reducing the quantity of snow that I have to shovel... Rain and snow will still get in, but definitely not as much.

The chickens get plenty of sun even with the solid roof. I think they actually like the shade. Remember, a drier run will be a less-stinky run too.

7. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by