Covered run question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by QuietPony, Mar 15, 2013.

1. QuietPony

QuietPony Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a chain link fenced area for my soon to be girls.. I was pondering covering a good portion for shade and weather protection which got me thinking..

Has anyone tried using landscape fabric for this?
    I imagine it breathes better than say a plastic tarp, and will probably "flap" less on a windy day and be less of a visual eye sore for the neighbors with it's darker color covering up a portion of the silver run.

What have you used to keep the hot summer sun and rain off your birds?

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I use the landscape fabric on the sides as a windbreak, and for morning sun block, but for mid day shade it is no better than a tarp. try to get your hands on some shade cloth - buy it once at it will last.

1 person likes this.
  3. QuietPony

Brilliant! Thank you!

4. crc310

crc310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    I was planning on using some landscape cloth for the sides to protect against wind. Don't know how it would work on the top yet (not finished on my run, no chickens yet). Post pics if u try it!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Landscpe fabric would be pretty low on my list. It is just not strong enough for the winds and weather around here. You can get sun fabric that is much stronger but only blocks a portion of the sun. It is a mesh so it will let water through. I use it for some sun screening at the dog pens (pic below). It has reinforced tie holes at the corners and it comes in 10x25' sheets (big box stores). I have also used the heavy duty tarps for small roof areas to create shade but I had to cut small drain slits to let ponding rain drain. They also have to be stretched tight to withstand heavy snow loads (if you live up north). The very best roofing is a solid roof of course.

Sun Mesh
    [​IMG]

Tarp (Canvas) - it also has reinforced tie holes along the corners/sides
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  6. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    maybe we are using different brands but the landscape fabric I have is practically indestructible, and has been in place for three years, over 4 major hurricanes and countless t-storms.

1 person likes this.
  7. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    OK... You must have installed it really good. Even our HD canvas tarps tear and shred after a few years. The sun mesh is plastic and and offers some shred resistance. We are in an area of alot of snow and ice in the winters and that really takes a toll on fabrics.

8. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I like it.

9. QuietPony

Thanks for your opinions on this. Plans are still up in the air, but I will surely be posting tons of pis as we get up and running with our small backyard flock.
    Money is tight and I would rather spend any extra cash on sturdier hardware wire to keep out the critters and figured landscape cloth might be a cheaper way to go where shade is concerned.
    We plan on running pvc arches over the top of the run and covering that with wire and then cloth.. However, I will be taking a closer look at the "sun cloth" when we make it to the store for final supplies.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by