Covered Run?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Is your run covered or uncovered?
What did you use to cover it?

Currently we just used cheap plastic bird netting to keep the girls in, but the snow was too much for it. This spring my neighbor is going to help me build a better and more proper run in exchange for some meat birds.

So I'm looking for some ideas on on cheaply covering it. The run will be going from 8'x8' to hopefully 8'x 14'. I'll be moving the compost bin into the run so the girls can work their magic and hopefully I'll be making the run big enough to stand in (one of my many mistakes), with an entrance on the outside. I'll also be adding much more sand. If I can find them cheap I'll be lining the bottom with cinder blocks and ideally planting in them, which will also hopefully keep my digging girls in.

I suggest using tin (corrugated steel) for roofing. You c could utilize guttering to catch rain water to use to water your chickens. As far as the cinder blocks go, look on Craigslist in your area for them, or place a want ad for them. Good luck

You might be able to find some used metal roofing to re-purpose if you start looking now. I would build a simple flat metal roof with one side higher than the other with the lower side running the water away from the coop and downhill. It will provide so much shade and protection from rain and snow. I would put the compost bin outside my run so as not to take up any room.

Is your run covered or uncovered?
What did you use to cover it?...

Well...1/3rd is covered with asphalt shigles and the other 2/3rds covered with 1/2" hardware cloth and a tarp for the winter.

Picture taken before covering with 1/2" hardware cloth.

Last edited:
We live in New England, and wanted ours covered so the girls could go out year round even if there was snow on the ground (although in this picture, which was end of summer, they were free ranging.)

Ours measures 12x12, and has a peaked roof (about 8 foot at the peak), with shingles. We have an full size outside door to access it as well.

We documented the build of both our coop and run here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-schoop

Back
Top Bottom