Covering 20x30 dog kennel run

CylonCJ

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2022
Hi there! We inherited a 20x30 dog kennel chicken run and I just put a new coop in it and now want to cover it but I want to have it be predator proof. My main concern is raccoons! I have some corrugated metal sheeting I want to put over the coop in the run to keep it out of the elements but I’m having trouble figuring out how to cover the entire run and have it be predator proof. I want to use some kind of hardware cloth (I added a 1/2 inch skirt to the bottom of the run) but the run is so wide it would sag. I’ve seen people use pvc to arch over the top but again it’s so wide this seems unlikely I can do this. Am I going to have to use wood and dig in support beams to really make a stable roof? Any help or ideas are appreciated! I added a couple pictures of the space.

Attachments

• CBEBE49E-FD81-476C-B8C4-72A4596AEC12.jpeg
    CBEBE49E-FD81-476C-B8C4-72A4596AEC12.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • FDF25F4A-E079-4DBC-90E6-B5D7E8D0017F.jpeg
    FDF25F4A-E079-4DBC-90E6-B5D7E8D0017F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Am I going to have to use wood and dig in support beams to really make a stable roof?
Yes. To do it in a single span would be much more expensive, Put support posts on eight to ten foot spacing (you won't need many), then headers, then some sort of trusses or rafters, then the roofing wire or sheathing. It would be much easier and cheaper to use heavy knotted netting and tarp, but that wouldn't be coon-proof without a good electric fence at the bottom.

Last edited:
Yes. To do it in a single span would be much more expensive, Put support posts on eight to ten foot spacing (you won't need many), then headers, then some sort of trusses or rafters, then the roofing wire or sheathing. It would be much easier and cheaper to use heavy knotted netting and tarp, but that wouldn't be coon-proof without a good electric fence at the bottom.
That’s what I was thinking. This project intimidates me! I’m handy but haven’t tackled something like this. However, I don’t want to put my chickens out there and have them picked off by raccoons on day one! We have quite a few in the area and I know their coop is predator proof but I’ve seen the raccoons out during the day. Looks like I have some DIY research to do!

Do you have to deal with snow load?

Welcome to BYC! @CylonCJ
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1659108425642.png

Do you have to deal with snow load?

Welcome to BYC! @CylonCJ
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3204041
Thanks! Will do. I’m in Michigan. Sooo yes on the snow load!

Maybe I should make a smaller predator proof run within the large kennel run. I can then put aviary netting from the dog kennel to the top of the predator proof run and they can go out and have access to the whole thing while I’m down there with them which is quite often during the day. This sounds like it would be way more manageable for me! Any thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom