1. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I built a lovely 6 foot tall 12x24 wood and wire run for my girls (6' is under the HOA's fence height 'radar') that blends in nicely with my own fence so as not to attract any attention to the occupants. [​IMG]

I was all proud of myself until that evening when I discovered 2 had come right on up and over to the main yard and 4 were perching along the top!

(Me: "GAH!!! Not stealthy, girls.")

[​IMG]

So my question is:

What is the least expensive and least conspicuous way to cover a 12x24 area?

It's more about keeping them IN and not so much about keeping predators OUT. (That's why God invented hot-wire. :)

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    U can continue ur poultry net across the top. I know Texas has alot of hawks and eagles too and they can fly right thru that topflight stuff. BTW, look at my page to see how u can modify ur doghouse. [​IMG]

3. WYOwhy

WYOwhy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Wyoming
    I just found opaque corrugated roofing (not the fancy fiberglass kind) for cheap at the hardware store. I'm thinking that will cover my run well enough to keep the girls in and (added bonus) a bit of the weather out. Not likely to be perfectly predator proof, but will do nicely for what I need. Hope that helps you.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Lowe's and Home Depot both have bird netting, in 25 and 75 foot rolls, 14 ft wide. Zip ties will hold each successive swatch together, and to the top of the fence. It keeps chickens in very well, and can deter some aerial attacks.

It's what I use.

5. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Bird net ordered and I am SO stealing that doghouse idea!

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Glad to be of help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by